98 4.6l intake manifold

Shano2001

Mar 19, 2008
Hey guys i just have a few questions, regarding the intake manifold. I need a new intake manifold for a 98 4.6l gt and was wondering if its a bad idea to buy a used "all plastic" one. Ive heard bad things about them, but money is tight right now and i can get one for $60 Canadian :canada: . Also if i should REALLY REALLY stay away from the all plastic what is an other option as far as used? Ive called a parts store where i usualy get really good deals and they can do $500 :jaw: for new but thats a pretty chunk of change :( . Any ideas ?

• Sponsors (?)

Buy a used PI intake manifold with aluminum crossover. You can usually find one for about $85-110USD. Or like $180 new. Plus it adds a good 10-15hp as well - better than most bolt ons. Does require the use of some gasket seal though, but hundreds have people use it this way. It is what i did.

So Pi intake with the crossover is way to go!!! OR, next question; my dad just got an 94 crown vic police intercepter today with a 4.6l sohc motor(gave to him) the engine runs great! but would the intake fit on the mustang and or would it maybe be better to swap the whole engine ?:shrug:

Thanks

So Pi intake with the crossover is way to go!!! OR, next question; my dad just got an 94 crown vic police intercepter today with a 4.6l sohc motor(gave to him) the engine runs great! but would the intake fit on the mustang and or would it maybe be better to swap the whole engine ?:shrug:

Thanks

I wouldn't advise using a pre 96 4.6L in your car. It'll probably be a PITA to convert it to OBD-II, and that model made less hp than your 98. Here are some other differences between the two 4.6L series of engines:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm said:
1992 – 1995 Romeo
The F2VE block replaced the original casting when the AODE (automatic overdrive, electronic) transmission was introduced late 1991 or early ’92 in the RWD Ford and Lincoln/Mercury cars (See the dates in the above paragraph). It was superseded by the F4VE casting that was identical to the F2VE in 1994. These blocks can be recognized by the hollow dowels that were used along with the AODE (automatic overdrive electronic) transmission and the semi-circular boss for the starter that was added on the right side of the bell housing

The corner of the block is reinforced by a triangular web that is parallel to the pan rail and perpendicular to the front of the bell housing, too. And, these blocks still have only four cross-bolted mains instead of five like all the later Romeo blocks.

1996 – 1998 Romeo Car
The third Romeo block was introduced in 1996. There have been three different casting numbers including the F65E-CC, F6VE and F7VE, but all three blocks are the same. These blocks have five cross-bolted mains instead of the four that were found on the earlier blocks, and they have a threaded hole in the valley for a knock sensor.

The freeze plug on the driver’s side was moved up closer to the deck and the bolt for the front cover that’s right beside the big hole for the water pump was moved up about .250˝ closer to the deck, so it’s located at 2 o’clock instead of 3 o’clock when facing the block (see photo below).

These blocks appear to have been used for the 1996 and ’97 cars (the "V" in the casting number indicates that the casting was originally designed for a Lincoln) and the 1997 pickups that were built in 1996 and titled as ’97s (the "5" in the casting number indicates that it was intended for the pickups).

Still no luck finding a NPI intake so, I have found a 1999 police engine with 140km on it and 30 day warrenty ! now my question is will a 1999 4.6l police engine bolt onto a 1998 gt ? and also would the 1999 have the PI head and intake or the NPI?
Thanks

Hi, I've a friend who worked for a Ford dealer a couple years ago and he told me the police pack is different from "production" car...
I'm living in Quebec, and i've a NPI intake for sale. email me if you want it
thanks
:canada:

I seen you had to block off a coolant gateway ? for just a intake swap, unless i read it completely wrong and if i didn't i really do not want to do that.

its the other way around. theres an extra sensor in the coolant crossover in the npi mustangs. so if you did the swap you'd have to have the spot that's blocked off drilled and tapped for the sensor. it cost me $20 from a local machine shop. but i dont think it mate up to the npi heads right, i think there's some sort of adapter or something? but i'm not sure

its the other way around. theres an extra sensor in the coolant crossover in the npi mustangs. so if you did the swap you'd have to have the spot that's blocked off drilled and tapped for the sensor. it cost me $20 from a local machine shop. but i dont think it mate up to the npi heads right, i think there's some sort of adapter or something? but i'm not sure

Yeah i seen an adapter but prices down here are 200-400 is and at this moment to expensive for a college student looking for a cheep fix to have some fun :> maybe an option later down the road but before i do that id probably pull the motor and rebuild it the way i want. But that would be a year or two down the road when i dont have college tuition and books to buy.

PS :SNSign: ALL the way! advice guru's on this website :hail2:

you do not need to run the adapter plates, all you have to do is put a little sealer on the rear on the drive side head, and on the front of the passenger side head.

heres a pic, hope it helps

pionnpihead.jpg

Oh wow thats it!? well thank you i did not see that picture before ! my dad used to do that when he ran Cascar ! my only issue really is ive had a car where my grandpa put stop leak and he blew the motor because he put to much and it plugged the rad ! mind you he ran it even when it was steaming it was over heating so much !

Oh wow thats it!? well thank you i did not see that picture before ! my dad used to do that when he ran Cascar ! my only issue really is ive had a car where my grandpa put stop leak and he blew the motor because he put to much and it plugged the rad ! mind you he ran it even when it was steaming it was over heating so much !

yup thats it, if you going to change the intake, dont even think about going with a npi one, you will notice a very nice power gain with the pi intake :nice:

ok so heres the update ! i was looking around and found a 4.6l dohc complete motor for sale for only $300 so ive emailed him and waiting for a reply:nice:... Gotta check out mileage year and all that yet! will keep up to date. Also will a dohc bolt right into the gt ? or does it depend on years ? IF its a no go what year did the pi intake come ? also would pi cams do anything for horse power or just sound ?

ok so heres the update ! i was looking around and found a 4.6l dohc complete motor for sale for only $300 so ive emailed him and waiting for a reply:nice:... Gotta check out mileage year and all that yet! will keep up to date. Also will a dohc bolt right into the gt ? or does it depend on years ? IF its a no go what year did the pi intake come ? also would pi cams do anything for horse power or just sound ?

99-04 was pi intake, but try to get one with an alunimun crossover, and yes pi cams will add another 10-15hp on top of the intake.

So im waiting for an email back about the 4.6 dohc. I was wondering is there any year or modle of car that has the 4.6 dohc that will not fit in 98 gt ?

# 1993–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 280 hp (209 kW) and 285 lb·ft (386 N·m)
# 1995–1997 Lincoln Continental, 260 hp (194 kW) and 265 lb·ft (359 N·m)
# 1996–1998 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, 305 hp (227 kW) and 300 lb·ft (407 N·m)
# 1995–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, 290 hp (216 kW) and 295 lb·ft (400 N·m)
# 1998–2002 Lincoln Continental, 275 hp (205 kW) and 275 lb·ft (373 N·m)
# 1999/2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, 320 hp (239 kW) and 317 lb·ft (430 N·m)
# 2000–2008 Panoz Esperante, 420 hp (313 kW) and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) [7]
# 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 305 hp (227 kW) and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m)
# 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 310 hp (231 kW) and 335 lb·ft (454 N·m) [8]
# 2003–2004 Mercury Marauder, 302 hp (225 kW) and 318 lb·ft (431 N·m)
# 2003–2005 Lincoln Aviator, 302 hp (225 kW) and 318 lb·ft (431 N·m)
# 2003–2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, Iron block, Supercharged, 390 hp (291 kW) and 390 lb·ft (529 N·m)

Still not sure what one it is but he still has motor and im waiting reply on what it came out of and year...