98 cobra?

FoxRod87

Feb 1, 2006
Carolina
I am going to look at a 98 cobra today and was woundering what I should look for? How much HP do they have and how long do the DOHC engines last and I think they come with a t-45 and is it a good trans? What are the pros and cons of a 98 cobra? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think that 4v is rated at 300hp or somewhere close to that..

If you are like any mustang guy on here, then i wouldnt worry about the motor just yet, cuz everyone on here just builds another motor for their stang and i am just as guilty lol..:D

T-45 is a tank.. should be fine, they are a good tranny..

Just drive it.. listen for ticks .. ask him what he has done to it.. make sure everything works... Send us pics!!

I am going to look at a 98 cobra today and was woundering what I should look for? How much HP do they have and how long do the DOHC engines last and I think they come with a t-45 and is it a good trans? What are the pros and cons of a 98 cobra? Thanks.

How many miles?

main things to look for are:

rear end howl (it is a standard for any 8.8 rear)
check the oil (a must)
1st to 2nd gear upshift (higher mileage T-45's you hear/feel a slight grind)
check the subframe/underneath (for any accidents)
look for the official SVT plate on the engine for authenticity

ask about mods done to it, how it was driven, fluid changes, ever been in accident, blah blah

test drive the car, if it feels a little sluggish it means the IMRC's (butterfly vales for intake) are clogged (common problem with older DOHC motors)

stock 96-98 cobras have 305HP and 300TQ, you'll feel the powerband just past 3000rpms when gunning the throttle

If you can get a carfax of the car, and if you can get some pics and post them up here, especially of the engine :nice: