98 gt engine swap to 2002 gt engine

bigirish69

Jan 21, 2010
HI everyone im new here and new to owning a mustang ive always loved them but down to brass tax we all know the 98 stang didnt have the best power but i found a 2002 gt engine with a vortech supercharger installed on it only needs a/c compressor or a/c delete kit and is 100% complete i was wondering if it will fit in my engine bay will no probs a direct fit and if not wat parts will i need to do so or port over from my 98 and will it connect to my tranny with no problems i got the manual 5 speed my engine and tranny is all stock exception of flowmaster exhaust but hell dont matter if im puttin a new engine in and also after doin some searching i found that their could be a problem with the security system on my 98 from this site in the key Mustang Engine Swap Guide - Engine Management And Headers - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine the pats passive anti theft system wonderin if that would present problems as well i apprecitae any help you guys can give me love the sight very informative pleasssseee help any info ill greatly appreciate and if anything wat would i need for a pi head swap sry for such a great amount of info http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

• Sponsors (?)

If your plan is to put the 02 PI engine in the 98, plenty of ppl have done it. Search away.

For an straight forward swap, keep the 98 wiring harness, ignition system, fuel system, fuel injectors, upper air induction, and PCM.

Make sure to get an PI intake with a metal 1st runner. Since the 98 has two temperature sensors, some modification is needed to support the 2nd sensor.

Some ppl have used a tap under the right side freeze plug and extened the temperature harness to support the 2nd sensor.

PATS should work exactly the same because the 98 PCM and wiring should be retained.

Why do you want information on a PI swap? Aren't you planning on putting an entire PI motor in your 98?

Unless I am mistaken, the 1998 is a Romeo (6 bolt crank). The 2002 PI is also a Romeo block (6 bolt crank). So the flywheel/flexplate will interchange. The transmission will bolt right up.

There are some slight differences the the belt routing. IMO, consider sticking with the 02 belt routing. Then there is no need to swap timing covers.

Try if possible to get the idler pulleys from the donor. Also get the water pump from the donor.

wmburns is very correct, the only years that were not the romeo for the mustang were 99-00. all others were the romeo. yes your tranny will bolt right up, keep the same belt routing on the 02, reuse the 98 fuel rails, ignition system, bolt it up and hang on. keep in mind take your time, and pay attention to what your doin. the easiest is to strip the 02 to the valve covers and oil pan, then start moving all the 98 equipment to the 02 engine