98 Gt Engine Swap?

Josh c

Jan 3, 2017
I have a 98 gt high miles it's leaking a lot of oil im thinking I should do a swap have 2000 to play with it's not much but I'm sure some of you can help figure something out

• Sponsors (?)

Option 1) swap in a lower mileage PI (99 to 2004) 4.6 mustang motor (junk yard, eBay, etc) for a couple extra hp with only minor modifications. You will fit your budget if you do the work yourself: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/npi-to-pi-engine-swap-how-to-guide.734721/

Option 2) swap in a lower mileage 4.6 ford motor from any f150, crown Vic, Ford Explorer, mustang, etc. The block is the same for all the years, heads, cams, and other fittings change throughout the years so there are several minor nuances.

Option 3) rebuild your motor yourself with stock components or have an engine shop do it for you.

I recommend to use a Romeo from a 2003+ Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car or Mustang as your first choice.

The 1999-2000 Mustang came with a Windsor block that will create some additional "issues" for the swap than can be avoided by sticking with a Romeo block.

Also try car-part.com or LKQ for prices for salvage yard motors.

Is the weight savings of using the block and heads of an aluminum block Mountaineer motor worth it over the greater compression ratio that could be achieved using the heads from a PI Mountaineer motor and the NPI GT block?

@csaverill I completely agree! I am trying to research the build process for doing a non-PI short block married to PI heads.
according to Richard Holdener, if you marry the two, along with cams, headers, throttlebody, intake, and a tune, you can get ~400 hp at the crank!

if you know anyone who has documented this type of build or anything at all about it, please let me know! this is the route i want to go with my 2002 GT when the old girl gets tired. I have plenty of life yet, but I am already scheming!