Engine 98 Gt, Rocker Arm Noise, What To Look For?

billcole

Oct 26, 2015
I have a 98 Mustang GT that the Ford dealership said that one of the rocker arms is getting hung up and is causing my noise, but they said it's one of the rear Driver's side ones.

I couldn't find what to look for when I took off the valve cover before, and this time it's the same. There is 2 scored rocker arms that have a "scrape" all the way around, but both of them are in the front driver's side. I'm going to replace them anyways, but will this be something that shows it is not moving and it's scoring the rocker arm (so I SHOULD be looking for this)? Or should I be looking for something else too?

I don't have any pics but it's apart right now and I'll be trying to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from later. If you know anything to look for just say it below please.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Put a ratchet on the crank bolt (18mm) and turn crank clockwise. Look for any loose components or sticking r. arms. You could also check clearance. Also, get a mechanics stethoscope and listen around the engine for the noise yourself. These stangs are popular for timing tensioner and guides going bad which causes a ticking/ knocking noise. I just replaced mine today. Good luck.

Put a ratchet on the crank bolt (18mm) and turn crank clockwise. Look for any loose components or sticking r. arms. You could also check clearance. Also, get a mechanics stethoscope and listen around the engine for the noise yourself. These stangs are popular for timing tensioner and guides going bad which causes a ticking/ knocking noise. I just replaced mine today. Good luck.

Ok, so basically all of that was fine. I decided to do the whole row of rockers and lifters to be safe. Before placing the new lifters in, they were sitting in a cup of oil for 30-40 mins if not longer. Starting the engine up for the first few minutes was fine with the new lifters. I thought it was fixed then it started to make the noise again after I took a drive around the block.

Then I remember on the driver's side, the nearest lifter to the nose of the car had a suction-cup effect when pulling it out of it's spot (the old one had this effect) Seemed to be no oil on it. Figuring that maybe an oil passage is blocked up? Or maybe my oil pressure went to hell (was fine before, I've already tested. will test later)? Or if the oil is seeping back down?
Note: The rocker sitting on this lifter was the one with the scrape all the way around it

I've read some things up on Seafoam, and people have said it's fixed

Last edited:
Describe the noise you are hearing. If the lifter isnt getting oil and its not functioning correctly causing the cam follower to "bang" into it, seafoam wont do a thing. You could possibly have a oil sludge problem that blocked a passage. Sludging isnt really a known problem with 2v's how ever. Are you sure your cam doesnt have a lobe that is worn down?

Describe the noise you are hearing. If the lifter isnt getting oil and its not functioning correctly causing the cam follower to "bang" into it, seafoam wont do a thing. You could possibly have a oil sludge problem that blocked a passage. Sludging isnt really a known problem with 2v's how ever. Are you sure your cam doesnt have a lobe that is worn down?

It's a ticking noise, it goes up with the RPM the faster the car goes. we Swapped the lifters and rockers, and before we put the new lifters in we let them soak in oil. the noise wasn't there for the first few minutes. it came back and I'm guessing because all the oil came out of the lifter and there was none going to it. when we pulled out that specific (old) lifter it was stuck with a suction cup effect and I had to get a pair of pliers to pull it out. I thought it was a sludge problem to that specific lifter.

my father was trying to say that the oil pump might be bad but I have an excessive amount of oil pressure. I forget exact number but it was pretty high. maybe around the 60s or so

Couldn't edit the last post so I'm putting it in here. We checked all the lobes, didn't look like any were, and I figured the lifter noise not being there until the oil left the lifter meant that was the problem (the lifter, not the cam). Also not the cams from this car. They are 99-04 PI cams, a past owner put them in.