98 GT vert for a DD, bad idea?

c.moser

Apr 29, 2008
Recently I sold my 96 Cobra that I used as a daily driver to get something more economical. I bought an 05 Subaru Legacy. I like the car a lot, but after only a short time I am very bored with it. I found a 98 gt vert for sale that is really clean, almost stock except for Flowmasters and short shifter, and has 51k miles. Would it be a bad idea to use this as a daily driver? I do have a POS 99 Legacy that I could use in the snow, but the GT would be used daily except for when it snowed. I do about 75% highway, 25% city driving. Anybody here drive a convertible on a daily basis? Just worried I might get sick of it since it's a convertible...

• Sponsors (?)

My granddad has two convertible GTs, a 94 and a 01, and while it doesn't bother a lot of people, the squeaks and rattles from the top just about drive me insane. Some folks aren't bothered by it, though, and it is nice to be able to put the top down on nice days.

I test drove this 98 I'm looking at and it didn't squeak/rattle at all. I'm sure it would eventually though.....

How's the gas mileage in the 96-98 GTs? I would probably keep the stock gears in it....

I get 21 mpg out of my automatic 99 GT coupe but it's mostly highway like 90+%. The specs according to edmunds.com aren't different between the GT coupe and 'vert for either yr.

Edmunds.com says the 98 GT 'vert is EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway/Combined) Manual: 15 mpg / 23 mpg / 18 mpg.

I test drove this 98 I'm looking at and it didn't squeak/rattle at all. I'm sure it would eventually though.....

How's the gas mileage in the 96-98 GTs? I would probably keep the stock gears in it....

My 98 coupe gets 25+ on the highway with the blower, got 27 a couple of times when I was stock. Normally get 17-18 in the city, but I like to hear it. :D Have gotten 20ish when I was stock didn't have such a lead foot. This is with an auto and the stock 3.27 gears.

My granddad's 01 vert (auto, stock 3.27 gears, only mod is exhaust) gets 26+ on the highway, 20ish in the city.

His 94 vert (5.0, H/C/I, full bolt ons, full exhaust, 5 speed, 3.73s) gets 22-24 on the highway and 15ish in the city.

Looks like your back to square 1, and back to a V8. As long as you can afford the gas and keep your right foot in check, I would'nt see anything bad about it. Personally, with a V8 I could'nt keep my foot out of it. That's why I like a wimpy 4 banger as my DD.

Looks like your back to square 1, and back to a V8. As long as you can afford the gas and keep your right foot in check, I would'nt see anything bad about it. Personally, with a V8 I could'nt keep my foot out of it. That's why I like a wimpy 4 banger as my DD.

Yeah I know. I should have never wasted time even buying the Subaru. It's a nice car, but no fun. I keep my foot in check for the most part. In fact I find myself having a lead foot more in my Subaru then I ever did in the Cobra I had. Probably because the Legacy is so damn slow.

This car is really nice. I can tell it was very well taken care of. The top seems to be in perfect shape. I went and looked at again this morning while it was raining out and it didn't appear to be leaking at all.

Probably going to pull the trigger on it tonight after work. My gas mileage with the Legacy is only 22-24 mpg so if i can get somewhat around that with the GT, thats cool with me

I use my 97 GT for a daily driver. It is a coupe, so I can't comment on the convertible aspect. However, it is an excellent daily driver. I get 21-22mpg on my daily commute which is probably 75% city. On highway trips, I normally get 25mpg. Maintanence is pretty easy too. Mine has 177k miles and still runs great. It actually has about the right amount of power for a daily driver in my opinion. The only downside is that it doesn't have traction control. It occasionally surprises me and keeps me on my toes, but I enjoy it. ;)

I was kinda expecting/hoping to hear this wouldn't be a good idea lol.

Considering I spend a good chunk of my life working right now, why not make the commute fun right? I guess if all goes well I'll be posting some pics tonight.....

My granddad has two convertible GTs, a 94 and a 01, and while it doesn't bother a lot of people, the squeaks and rattles from the top just about drive me insane. Some folks aren't bothered by it, though, and it is nice to be able to put the top down on nice days.

putting in a "light bar" or "styling bar" and sub frame connectors will get rid of about 80%-90% of the squeaks and rattles...I have a 2000 GT 'vert with over 240,000 miles and it is virtually rattle free, the driver side rear window has a little creak/squeak...and the CC plates are noisier than the OEM ones, but that doesn't have anything to do with being a convertible

I get about 20-22 in mixed city/highway/and stop and go freeway driving with 3:73 gears

no, there is nothing wrong with a convertible daily driver, at least not in a warm weather location :D

If you are in a snow belt state I would say no, but if a sun belt location, I say HELL YEA!

Convertibles are so much fun. As much as I didn't want my car when I got it (Bought it from my brother in law and it was completely stock besides Flows), I have fallen in love and miss it if I don't drive it for a couple days. Being able to put the top down on days where it wasn't over 90 degrees in FL is a blast, and I've actually met two girls back in college this way..

There are a couple simple mods if you are trying to keep in comfortable and increase the fun factor.
Gears, midpipe and exhaust, springs, shocks, CC plates, and FLSFC's. Car will feel tight, handle good enough to be a fun DD, perform better than stock and sound better too, and get into the powerband faster with gears.

Well I ended up buying it and so far I couldn't be happier. It gets almost the same gas mileage as my subaru did. It's rained 3 out of the 4 days I've had it so far and it's still been great. I've had 2 foxbody verts in the past and I hated driving with the top up (rattling, noisy, drafty, ect..) but this 98 feels light years ahead in design. There is no rattling or excessive noise what so ever. I'll post some pics if it ever stops raining around here again

Congrats man! Time to post some pictures of it!! You wont regret it. On a nice sunny day driving home from work, put the top down and enjoy your ride home, I'd rather do that than putter around in some econobox!