Roush '98 Saleen Cobra Questions...

pinski

Founding Member
Mar 17, 2002
North Carolina
Hey guys,

I've still been casually looking for a Saleen, and ran across a wrecked 1998 Saleen Cobra with 33k on the clock.

Damage doesn't look too bad, but it still has a salvage title.

It appears the car most likely needs:
- front fascia (maybe)
- rear fascia
- sideskirt (maybe)
- at least one (maybe two) wheels
- hood (maybe)
- two airbags
- headlight
- corner light(s)
- rear quarter panel
- other minor bodywork (dent in drivers door, think i see one on other quarter panel, etc)

I've seen these cars still sell in the $30k range, so I'm just curious as to how rare it is, and whether or not it is worth saving...

From some quick math, on my part, it would cost between $5-6k to get it looking ship-shape once more...plus many major headaches I'm sure. That figure is probably still a lowball, since many minor things might still need fixed, even though the seller insists it runs and drives well.

I guess my questions are, is it worth it to fix? How much should I offer, knowing that it needs this much work? How much will it be worth afterwards, with the salvage title? It also will need a new set of 18" shoes, so figure in another $1200 :(

Thanks guys :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If you are fixing it to keep it wouldn't be too bad. With the salvage history that will hurt it for re-sale. Honestly it will cost more thn 5-6,000 to fix it and get it back to nice condition. Probably close to 8,000 or a little over. Regardless I wouldn't pay more than $6500 for it after hearin what damage there is. This may be the same car I was pursuing a fe months ago. If it is then it sold for $5000 to the person who has it right now. Also, just a side note..some states you can't get a salvage title issued to you unless you are a dealer. They won't inspect the car if you don't have a license here in Georgia. Check you states policy on salvage titles and inspections. It can be a real headache.