98 to 79 Brakes

• Sponsors (?)

I once knew a guy that completely hacked up an 89 Mustang with the intent of adding 1968 body parts to the front, and rear of that car. His thought process was that it was a “ factory 4 banger, gutless POS”.

The negative pushback he received from changing the bodywork was just about 2 out of 3.
And it wasn’t anything special......like a 79 pace car is.

If this is a Recaro seat, True 1979 Pace car, think twice about gutting it and hacking in sht from the donor car. If you put “ what you want” in one hand, and balance “ what you have” in the other, the 79 PC, restored to a resto-mod level will be a far better end result. A Resto-mod, where you change out the “ gutless 302” with a power-added HCI rebuild, trans, brakes, rear and suspension upgrade(s) while keeping the interior and exterior true to stock will do way more for that car, ( and your future resale) than the path to pieces-part bump steer town you’re currently planning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I once knew a guy that completely hacked up an 89 Mustang with the intent of adding 1968 body parts to the front, and rear of that car. His thought process was that it was a “ factory 4 banger, gutless POS”.

The negative pushback he received from changing the bodywork was just about 2 out of 3.
And it wasn’t anything special......like a 79 pace car is.

If this is a Recaro seat, True 1979 Pace car, think twice about gutting it and hacking in sht from the donor car. If you put “ what you want” in one hand, and balance “ what you have” in the other, the 79 PC, restored to a resto-mod level will be a far better end result. A Resto-mod, where you change out the “ gutless 302” with a power-added HCI rebuild, trans, brakes, rear and suspension upgrade(s) while keeping the interior and exterior true to stock will do way more for that car, ( and your future resale) than the path to pieces-part bump steer town you’re currently planning.
It is a True Recaro houndstooth Pace car. I have balanced them both in one hand, a gutless 302 with a crap transmission with a lousy 7.5" rear end with less that stellar brakes vs parts from 98 GT with a good running 4.6, a good 8.8 with disc brakes and a K member that will work all while adding 5 lug wheels. So what am I changing that most Mustang enthusiast wouldn't change except for the 4.6, and the way I look at it the hard part will be done so that the next owner can drop in a Coyote. But I plan on leaving it for my grand daughter because the first time she saw it she asked me if she could have it..... I admit there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is do I install the automatic that is in the GT and have to change pedals or do I install the T 45 along with the 4.6 then I have to figure out what I need for a clutch assembly for the T 45 into the pace car. Any ideas on that ?

It is a True Recaro houndstooth Pace car. I have balanced them both in one hand, a gutless 302 with a crap transmission with a lousy 7.5" rear end with less that stellar brakes vs parts from 98 GT with a good running 4.6, a good 8.8 with disc brakes and a K member that will work all while adding 5 lug wheels. So what am I changing that most Mustang enthusiast wouldn't change except for the 4.6, and the way I look at it the hard part will be done so that the next owner can drop in a Coyote. But I plan on leaving it for my grand daughter because the first time she saw it she asked me if she could have it..... I admit there is one thing I haven't figured out yet and that is do I install the automatic that is in the GT and have to change pedals or do I install the T 45 along with the 4.6 then I have to figure out what I need for a clutch assembly for the T 45 into the pace car. Any ideas on that ?

First sentence will be 'I'm never selling it'
I'm not getting into 'what's it worth when' discussion.
Just post up some pics already and show us what your doing to it.
None of that is a concern as I said I am going to leave it for my grand daughter. What's it worth ? Has to be worth more with the 4.6 and all the rest of the GT parts than it is as it sits with a clapped out 302. No offense to the 302 guys but I have no use for it, cost to much to rebuild the anemic engine to get the same power as the 4.6 and the 4.6 will drive and run easier than a modified 302 will. I made my decision watching a friend of mine building a mid 80's Mustang with a 302. He put a big cam in it with aftermarket heads and intake and ended up with a car that wasn't streetable. He sold it without ever driving it. With the 4.6 I will have a car that can be driven daily and if I want some more power I can add a blower. JMO....

Don't take me wrong, I'm not advocating keeping it as it's supposed to be in 1979, frankly 1979 sucked, I agree with up dating the running gear, a 4.6 and a blower is 'grandma driving to church' streetable.
Now restoring the interior and outside to look original would win points with me.
Not that it matters.
What matters are pics!

do I install the T 45 along with the 4.6 then I have to figure out what I need for a clutch assembly for the T 45 into the pace car. Any ideas on that ?

Not following your question.

The clutch should be the same as the 4.6L. In fact, it would be swapped as one unit. You're existing clutch pedal assembly and possibly the cable would then be used. They are very similar.

I have no opinion on restomodding a Pace Car. None was solicited either. The only thing i would say is that from a complexity issue, it would probably be easier to build up a healthy 302 vs install a non-PI 96-98 4.6L 2V motor with 215HP. It's a lot of work for objectively the worst 4.6L to ever be put in a Mustang. You'll need to swap in the hydroboost (or go manual brakes) and tackle all the wiring for the EFI system. You can build and drop in a 300HP 302 pretty cheaply and easily.

Now, if you wanted to upgrade that 4.6L, you can track down a set of PI heads, PI cams, PI intake, aftermarket TB and plenum and exhaust. When you price that all out, you'll be sticker shocked at what it cost for 300HP. The 4.6L can be spendy to modify. Then if you start pricing out some of the other parts you'll need. You can grab an explorer 302, some GT40 heads and a explorer intake and a decent cam and have 300HP as well.

Again, i don't really care either way, but if this is a budget sort of build, going down the 4.6L route, even with a donor car, may not be the cheapest route.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
My love for the 4.6 comes from owning a 98 F-150 step side with a 5 speed manual. That truck ran great. If the Pace car runs as good as the truck did at a lot less weight 3850 vs 2811 for the pace car I can't go wrong. And most importantly to me the 4.6 sounds way better with a good Bassani exhaust than any 302 and newer 4.6's are everywhere in FB Marketplace at a reasonable price and Coyotes from an F 150 can be had for 3500.00 here in WNY. But I have this 98 GT sitting here as a donor that is bought and paid for and at 64 I don't need 500 HP I just want something that runs and sounds good.

And the 4.6 has an automatic, which is why I asked about the T 45 ? Thx Dave

This whole thing would make more sense if the words "Cost too much to rebuild" wouldn't just be a flag waiving at full staff on Idontknowwhatimtalkinabout Island.

On what planet do you currently reside on? Just because your friend threw together a combo that turned out to run poorly, doesn't automatically mean every freakin 5.0 will run that way. Mof 99% of those who participate here can vouch for that. A mild 302/5.0 will be every bit as responsive, fits the K member thats in the car, you can reuse the power accessories, and will flat out bitch slap a 2v 4.6 in any contest you put it in.
What kind of black hole do you spose you're gonna find when it comes time to fit the 4.6, to fuel one, to get past the PATS, to get it running?
Versus the relative "bolt in status" that the current drive train enjoys, buy yourself a decent rebuild combo for the existing engine, put a new carb on it and go. Swap in a t 5, upgrade the brakes and rear with the donor, and put the rest of it on CL.

* By the way, I don't just play a know it all on web forums, I am one in real life.
mustangbuild358.jpg

4.6 2v in a fox. Ported p.i. heads, stage 1 cams, Edelbrock induction, MSD timing computer. Tr3650 trans, 8.8 rear.
Manual brakes, Manual rack.
A Genuine pain in the dick to drive, and an even bigger one to stop.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate your passion for the 302, but I don't share it with you. Have you ever done something that didn't make sense to others but it tripped your trigger ? Well this is mine. I have two f-150's with 5.4's that couldn't hold a candle to my 98 with a 4.6 granted both 5.4's have automatics while the 4.6 was a 5 speed. I just really like the 4.6....and if I find the 4.6 as anemic I looked today and there is a 5.0 Coyote on FB marketplace at a reasonable price so I can always upgrade to one of those....So was it that bad putting the 4.6 in your Fox ??? Thx Dave

I appreciate your passion for the 302, but I don't share it with you. Have you ever done something that didn't make sense to others but it tripped your trigger ? Well this is mine. I have two f-150's with 5.4's that couldn't hold a candle to my 98 with a 4.6 granted both 5.4's have automatics while the 4.6 was a 5 speed. I just really like the 4.6....and if I find the 4.6 as anemic I looked today and there is a 5.0 Coyote on FB marketplace at a reasonable price so I can always upgrade to one of those....
So was it that bad putting the 4.6 in your Fox ???
Thx Dave
He don’t know me very well....he thinks I have passion for a 302 :rlaugh:

I chose to make my factory K member work. I heavily modified it to allow the engine to set lower, and cut it up for the clearance necessary for the headers. I relocated the rack lower by 3/4”.
There was bumpsteer. I had to correct that. I didnt wanna fck with the Pats system, so I ditched the factory ecu, and ran a carb. I used a msd timing controller to fire the coils. The fuel system was upgraded to provide a better supply.

It ran great from the jump. It didn’t make any real power, but was fun to drive. It got great gas mileage on the few drives I took it to,...but it wasn’t cheap, it took somebody with decent fab skills to make it fit, and even when it did, compromises to the braking and steering systems made it a “ less than” when compared to the stock systems that were already in place.

Last edited:
No offense but why does your steering and braking system suck ? Why do guys constantly "upgrade" to 5 lug wheels ,hubs, and brakes if it is less than stock. Did you cut corners on your braking system ? I don't understand how it could be less than stock ? Why was the power less than stellar ? Was it because you deleted the fuel injection ? Thx Dave

And the 4.6 has an automatic, which is why I asked about the T 45 ? Thx Dave

Gotcha. In that case it won't be difficult to change it to the T45. You'll need some new hardware though,. Flywheel, clutch, and transmission x-member. The GT's x-member will not work as the '79 uses a smaller 2.75" mounting width for the X-member. I see stifflers doesn't have an option for an X-member for that combo, so you will likely need to do a little research as to the trans x-member to use. You can also try fabricating one

My opinion, not that it matters at all is simple,

4.6L swaps are weak sauce... unless your putting boost to it

I would do what your doing and add some balls to the car while adding stability. Upgrade to a fancy brake setup and drop in a hci 302 and enjoy the car and have a rare cool car to pass down.

:)

• Agree
If the man wants to put a 4.6L in his car, then let him. His car, his money.

I made the claim of wanting to put a 4.6L DOHC in a Factory Five Cobra kit car on the FFR forum one day and everyone pooped on me for not going coyote. I don't want a Coyote.

Last edited:
I made the claim of wanting to put a 4.6L DOHC in a Factory Five Cobra kit car on the forum one day and everyone pooped on me for not going coyote. I don't want a Coyote.
I wanted to Coyote swap the super-Pinto in the worst way until Mike unintentionally talked me out of it... in my search for an engine I actually liked to look at that would have some "wow factor" and make some power... I ended up at the 4.6DOHC. It's too good an engine to ignore that can be had for even less than the iron-block truck LS engines now.

If the man wants to put a 4.6L in his car, then let him. His car, his money.
This is true, and with a whole donor car, it's not like it'll be a nightmarish swap, but a carb, intake, cam, headers, and exhaust would have the "weak" 302 that's in it knocking on the door of 300hp, I know, I've done it to two practically identical malaise-era 302s in Mustang IIs. I can see both sides of it. On the one hand, upgrading that 302 does nothing but help the car in virtually every way. On the other, the 4.6's drivability can't easily be ignored. It's Cadillac or Lincoln smooth, makes about the same power as a stock 5.0 HO, only weighs a little more, and at the least, looks cool.