98 V6?

bjam2

Jun 20, 2003
Michigan
Alright there is a sweet 98 Mustang for sale by me, it is absolutely beautiful. The paint is brand new and amazing it's red with black flames and the running horse in the flames. The guy is asking $4800 it's got 63,000 miles and has been stored winters. Now the only thing I don't like about the car is that it's a V6, and i'm fairly sure I will want a V8 in it one day. I figure it will be nice for a reliable daily driver now and I'll drive it til the engine blows (figuratively speaking) and then want to put a 5.0 and keep driving it or a carbed V8 and then use it as a fun car.

So what is different between the V6 and V8 models, i would put a 5.0 in it of course. Sixes have a 7.5 inch rear end instead of the 8.8 don't they? It's a 5 speed, are the 6 and 8cyl Manual Trannies different? Any swap type tips?

What do you think.

• Sponsors (?)

98 V6's have 7.5" rear, V8's have 8.8", but the 7.5" is good for up to and above 400hp, probably not with slicks though.

You can either mod the V6 to 400hp through H/C/I work and a blower - check out Super Six Motorsport's website. There's other options too for the 94-08 V6's. You can either stroke it out to 4.2/.3L or drop a 5.0 in from another car. You can even get the 99+ V6 in there as well.

Can't help you too much on the trannies though. I think the V6 and V8 trannies are different. I may be wrong though.

bjam2 said:
Alright there is a sweet 98 Mustang for sale by me, it is absolutely beautiful. The paint is brand new and amazing it's red with black flames and the running horse in the flames. The guy is asking $4800 it's got 63,000 miles and has been stored winters. Now the only thing I don't like about the car is that it's a V6, and i'm fairly sure I will want a V8 in it one day. I figure it will be nice for a reliable daily driver now and I'll drive it til the engine blows (figuratively speaking) and then want to put a 5.0 and keep driving it or a carbed V8 and then use it as a fun car.

So what is different between the V6 and V8 models, i would put a 5.0 in it of course. Sixes have a 7.5 inch rear end instead of the 8.8 don't they? It's a 5 speed, are the 6 and 8cyl Manual Trannies different? Any swap type tips?

What do you think.

if it's an automatic then don't waste your time... it's not worth the frustration and talk about a boring driving experience... i'll kick myself til the day i die for buying a mustang with an automatic...

It's a 5 speed.

This would be a Daily Driver car for me for college and such. Right now i have a 88 5.0 stang, a 82 El Camino SS w/ a 350, and a 67 Galaxie 500 Fastback w/ a 390. So I am pretty set on the speed cars, except i'll be selling at least 2 of those before i go to college.

peyotesands said:
if it's an automatic then don't waste your time... it's not worth the frustration and talk about a boring driving experience... i'll kick myself til the day i die for buying a mustang with an automatic...

Yea, missing shifts and grinding gears is much more exciting!

Good for you, but you're not him and he isn't you, and we aren't every Mustang driver out there. I was just saying...

Besides, some people choke when it comes to racing. Also, there are some nice auto trannies out there that will outperform even the most seasoned stick shifter. Granted, they run $2700 and up.

MarvinMyCat said:
Good for you, but you're not him and he isn't you, and we aren't every Mustang driver out there. I was just saying...

Besides, some people choke when it comes to racing. Also, there are some nice auto trannies out there that will outperform even the most seasoned stick shifter. Granted, they run $2700 and up.

anyone who knows the later model v6 mustangs KNOWS the stock auto is a piece of garbage. it drains more hp from the engine than the 5 speed. that's all i'm saying. Ford did not put high performance autos in their v6 mustngs did they? No. If they did then I wouldn't be so against them. Don't be so reactionary.

besides he said he wanted it for a daily driver not a drag car... see?

REactionary? It took you all of 30 seconds to reply to my last post.

Besides...

Attachments

• domesticthug.jpg
    domesticthug.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 139