98GT been out of service -What is new on the scene?

Timin

Founding Member
Jul 23, 2001
Houston
98GT been out of service -What is the best N/A setup?

Hey everybody,

I have not been following the cars scene for about 5 years. My 98 has 150k miles on it, and is no longer my daily driver. I'm looking to start working on the car, but I am not sure of the best setup for my N/A aspirations.

I see 3 options from what I have been reading: PI headswap with Cams, 5.4L 2V, or 5.4L 4V.

What are the different HP expectations from each setup running a High compression N/A setup? Moneywise, i'd like to get the best bang for my buck. I probably have a few thousand to spend on building the motor/rear end, etc...

From what I remember, running a higher compression means I can still throw a bottle on later on for a little extra burst...

-Karl

• Sponsors (?)

Go with the 5.4l 4v if you can afford it, hell even a coyote 5.0. Otherwise the other two are options, however I wouldn't do the 5.4 2v without a decent set of heads and cams. They are good for a nice bump in low end torque. Trick Flow 38cc heads and aftermarket cams would give you around 11:1 compression. I'd look into Trick Flow top end kit if I were you.

Good stuff G&G. I'm curious in the difference of RWHP you can expect from the different setups, as i'm personally inclined to build up the 4.6 if there are small differences. I see your numbers and that's what I was realistically hoping for with a PI headswap. I'm looking around, but perhaps some others with a 5.4 2V/4V that have Dyno numbers can chime in.

I know with the 5.4L 2V/4V you are not able to use existing Long Tubes. It sounds like there may be an option or two out there, but they may not be cheap. With the 4V it looks like you will definitely have to get a lot more parts for the swap (computer, etc)

My current thoughts are to build up the rear end first, then go for the motor:

31 splines, 4.10/4.30's, Detroit Locker differential