98gt versus 89 5.0

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,
All things being stock which would be the better buy! the better car best bang for the buck, i areas of engine build quality fit and finish durabillity reliability.
In performance parameters cornering ,straight line.
I convienance areas like easyier to see out of, durability of heater , aircond, seat comfort , pedal placement, Basically if a pole was taken which would most choose.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Bump it up a year and get a 99 GT. Better heads, better brakes, etc etc. I'd get a Fox over either though, I just don't see the point in getting a 96-04 GT. 96-04 Cobras are so easy to come by, why not upgrade?

Bump it up a year and get a 99 GT. Better heads, better brakes, etc etc. I'd get a Fox over either though, I just don't see the point in getting a 96-04 GT. 96-04 CObras are so easy to come by, why not upgrade?

ok Can you elaborate and explain and or share reasons you'd pick the 5.0 over 96-2004 is it mostly just you feel the engine you like better basically?
wat about the rest of the 5.0's versus 4.6 cars is it you feel the rest is similar enough its not main difference/?
so you feel its the engine difference thats the biggest and main differene as to why you like the 5.0 cars better ?:shrug:

not just the engine,(actually I prefer a 5.0 over a 4.6 any day) but the 94+ up cars are much more solid cars. they handle better, they are more durable, parts(for the most part) are cheaper and more plentiful, more comfortable.

they are basically as an overall platform superior to the fox. In every one of the categories that you listed they will outshine a fox with perhaps the exception of a straight line. a stock for stock car I think a good driver could keep up with if not beat a 2v motor with a 5.0 . 4v is a different story altogether.
99+ gts came with the better heads/intake. something like 40 more horse than the previous year.

not just the engine,(actually I prefer a 5.0 over a 4.6 any day) but the 94+ up cars are much more solid cars. they handle better, they are more durable, parts(for the most part) are cheaper and more plentiful, more comfortable.

they are basically as an overall platform superior to the fox. In every one of the categories that you listed they will outshine a fox with perhaps the exception of a straight line. a stock for stock car I think a good driver could keep up with if not beat a 2v motor with a 5.0 . 4v is a different story altogether.
99+ gts came with the better heads/intake. something like 40 more horse than the previous year.

the 94-5 5.0 parts are more expensive and harder to find than the fox parts, and the mod motors are expensive as hell to modify

the 94-5 5.0 parts are more expensive and harder to find than the fox parts, and the mod motors are expensive as hell to modify

this is way false, you can pick up a built 4.6 shortblock for around 3k that will support 800 hp all day, the heads make good power, and you dont have to invest in an aftermarket block, aluminum blocks can be found for cheap, trick flow is making heads for 2v's now too. if your trying to do it NA, a pushrod is the way to go, but throw a 2.3 or even a 3.4L :D whipple and a shovel couldnt knock the smile off of your face.

Mod motors are pretty impressive to me, esp the 03-04 cobra motors, John Urist had an 03 cobra that made over 1k to the wheels that he only did a fuel system to

for the reasons you listed i'd go with the 98 gt, but spend some extra cash and try to find a 98 cobra

I owned a 2003 GT.

Only reason i still own my Fox is because it was first first car ever...otherwise I would have sold it and still had my '03 GT or sold it for a Mach 1 or Cobra.

99+ GT > Fox 5.0

it is Not false, if you were to Build a mod motor, you can get the block that holds 800 and cheap heads (that will not knock the socks off of anybody), but guaranteed the trick flow heads are not going to be near as cheap as 5.0 trick flows, then you throw in things like throttle bodies & other bolt ons and they are unquestionably more expensive than that of a 5.0. and as for the beginning of my statement, they are internally identical (fox and sn 5.0) but things like the upper intake/throttle body setup is different, and so are headers& a few other differences. the sn 5.0 parts are not expensive because they are of higher quality, just because there are less of them, 94-95 = 2 yrs, 87-93 = 7 years, unless you wanna get picky then it's only 89-93 (mass air conversion) but that's still 5...

i'm talking overall. you may be able to find a few here and there that are the same or cheaper, but if you look at every part, the 5.0 is going to be cheaper to do the same # of mods...

If you want to tinker with the car alot, get a fox 5.0. They are old cars now and need constant attention but they are reliable if you treat them right.

The 96-98 GT is worthless in stock form. Good if you just want a DD or a good looking cruiser, bad if you want good performance.

I owned a 2003 GT and I was in love with it. Good power, comfortable, and easy to make look VERY badass

That being said I still love foxes and will own another some day. However I will never again own a fox as my ONLY means of transportation.

If you want to tinker with the car alot, get a fox 5.0. They are old cars now and need constant attention but they are reliable if you treat them right.

The 96-98 GT is worthless in stock form. Good if you just want a DD or a good looking cruiser, bad if you want good performance.

I owned a 2003 GT and I was in love with it. Good power, comfortable, and easy to make look VERY badass

That being said I still love foxes and will own another some day. However I will never again own a fox as my ONLY means of transportation.

:shrug: 96-98 gt is about as quick as a fox GT or a 94-95 GT

I agree they were not that fast but it's not like stock 5.0's were 12 second cars

it is Not false, if you were to Build a mod motor, you can get the block that holds 800 and cheap heads (that will not knock the socks off of anybody), but guaranteed the trick flow heads are not going to be near as cheap as 5.0 trick flows, then you throw in things like throttle bodies & other bolt ons and they are unquestionably more expensive than that of a 5.0. and as for the beginning of my statement, they are internally identical (fox and sn 5.0) but things like the upper intake/throttle body setup is different, and so are headers& a few other differences. the sn 5.0 parts are not expensive because they are of higher quality, just because there are less of them, 94-95 = 2 yrs, 87-93 = 7 years, unless you wanna get picky then it's only 89-93 (mass air conversion) but that's still 5...

by the block that holds 800 do you mean a teksid block... stock 4.6 block can handle over 800 horsepower but the stock rotating assy can't a teksid can handle a LOT

Block strength is not a issue with modulars

BUT with that said the 5.0 is still cheaper to modify and it's a lot better platform for a N/A build