99-04 dash swap into 1980 coupe

reddragon1980

Nov 2, 2011
I have a 1980 Mustang coupe that has been a project for the past few years. It originally had the 4.2 auto and I have swapped it out for a 5.0 HO 5 speed from my 1988 GT donor. The engine has been converted back to carb. My girlfriend recently rolled our 1999 Mustang V6. I have decided to use the complete front suspension, steering, rack, master cylinder and brakes on my 1980 to impove its handling. I am aslo going to swap the 8.8 rear from the 88 into the 80 and use the 99 rear brakes. I have a 1997 Explorer with the GT40P heads. Eventually I will swap the heads over to the car. At that time i will clean up the ports of both the heads and Performer intake as well as port match. I will also purchase a 600 Edelbrock at that time. I will be busy with this project for quite a while but now here comes the complications...

I would love to install the 99 dash (as well as most of the interior) into my 1980 coupe. I have done some reading and looking around. I realize its a big job with lots of cutting and measuring. My problem is when it comes to wiring. How do I make the speedo and guages all work? Is running carb going to complicate this more? Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)