99-04: Subtle Differences

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Break it down for me....I know there are some subtle differences but I'm not sure which years are what.

Hood scoop, side scoops, different spoiler?
Tranny?
Tinted headlights?

Anything else?

• Sponsors (?)

Tinted headlights: 01 to 04
side scoops, hood scoop, and spoiler also changed in 01, I believe. My car had the hood scoop when I bought it, but I am assuming the previous owner did that. Also, I hate the stock wheels on my car, I think they may have gotten better in 01 also.

Cool...I hate pretty much all stock wheels except maybe the Bullits. Even then they're not wide enough. But I'd rather not have to spend the money on scoops and headlights if I don't have to. And I much prefer the look of the newer scoops and spoiler. Guess I'll focus on looking for 01+

1999-2000 Clear headlight lenses with chrome housings with amber reflectors
2001-2004 Clear headlight lenses with smoked housings with amber reflectors

1999-2000 rear spoiler is bolted to the ends of the decklid
2001-2004 rear spoiler is bolted on "posts" further inside the end of the decklid.

2003-2004 V6 came stock with OEM factory parts bin 1999 Cobra Hoods

I'm not sure when they started these changes, but later on they started shipping the cars with the aluminum crossover on the intake, and some got the updated seatbelt swivels that don't jam all up like my crappy ones do.

Mid-2001 they switched the 5 speeds from the T-45 to the T-3650 captain grinds-a-lot.

They also switched up the water pump pulley design mid-2001.

2001:
Oil viscosity requirement changed due to CAFE reasons.

2003-2004:
-The traction control and ABS were optional.
-Interior upgrage package available
-New colors. (dark shadow grey, redfire, screamin yellow, competition orange, and mistichrome for Cobras) i'm not 100% sure on the colors, someone correct me if im wrong. :D

2004:
-The anniversary package was available and it included the bronze Bullitt wheels, spoiler delete, and hood stripes.
-All Mustangs have the 40th Anniv. badge, regardless of the anniv. package.

94GTStang said:
Let's not forget the years that have the cool kick ass netting compartment on the roof! I think those were 2002/3 and in Mach's? Not quite sure.

My old 03 V6 had that.

The big change was in 01.

99 - Clear Head Lights, Same interior layout as the 98s, 35 Ann. Badges, 16" Standard Wheels (opt. 17" Wheels), Spoiler

00 - Same as 99 - the 35th Ann. Badges, No Cobra, 300 Cobra Rs made

01 - Added Hood Scoop, Different Side Scoops, Different Spoiler, Smoked Headlights, New interior layout, new Stereo Head Units, Bullitt Released, Cobra rereleased with different Seats (Suede inserts).

02 - Bullitt Wheels offered as an option on GTs

03 - New Cobra Released, Mach 1 Released, 100th Ann. Cars released (special side badges), V6 gets the 99/01 Cobra Hood

04 - 40th Ann. Badges, 40th Ann. Package offered (special Red color and Racing Stripes)

I can't remember when Ford started offering the Interior Upgrade Package. I assume it's in 02 after the Bullitt was released as it features the Bullitt Pedals, Bullitt Shift Knob, Bullitt Shift Bezel, and Bullitt Door Lock Pins.

Well, the big change on the GT actually happend in 1999 with the "Limited" GT with what eventually became standard features in 2001.

The 1999 "Limited Edition" GT had...

1. Polished 17 inch wheels
2. Hood scoop/side scoops like the 01+ had later.
3. Special two-tone interior
4. Completely different rocker panels..only Mustang to ever have them.
5. Model yr 1999 only paint(Performance Red)
6. 5-speed came with Billet knob aka BULLITT/Mach1 knob. 1st use of this knob.
7. Spoiler was similiar in design to later 01+ version, but did not have character line.

drew_shipley said:
My old 03 V6 had that.

The big change was in 01.

99 - Clear Head Lights, Same interior layout as the 98s, 35 Ann. Badges, 16" Standard Wheels (opt. 17" Wheels), Spoiler

00 - Same as 99 - the 35th Ann. Badges, No Cobra, 300 Cobra Rs made

01 - Added Hood Scoop, Different Side Scoops, Different Spoiler, Smoked Headlights, New interior layout, new Stereo Head Units, Bullitt Released, Cobra rereleased with different Seats (Suede inserts).

02 - Bullitt Wheels offered as an option on GTs

03 - New Cobra Released, Mach 1 Released, 100th Ann. Cars released (special side badges), V6 gets the 99/01 Cobra Hood

04 - 40th Ann. Badges, 40th Ann. Package offered (special Red color and Racing Stripes)

I can't remember when Ford started offering the Interior Upgrade Package. I assume it's in 02 after the Bullitt was released as it features the Bullitt Pedals, Bullitt Shift Knob, Bullitt Shift Bezel, and Bullitt Door Lock Pins.

03/04's had pink (21#) fuel injectors.. earlier had orange (19#) .. and the shrader valve on the fuel rails magically disappeared in '04.

Of course, there's the Windsor/Romeo motor thing. I think that's already been mentioned.

40th GT said:
2003-2004:
-The traction control and ABS were optional.

2003 GT premiums had ABS/TC standard. I know this because that's what mine is.

I beleive it was optional on the 2003 Deluxe though. :shrug:

For interior mods, the 01-04 Mystang had a redesigned center console with a 1.5 din radio. Most GT's came with the 6-disk Mach 460. Some '02-04's came with the Mach 1000 unit with subwoofers in the trunk.

Also i beleive 01-03 had a roof netting between the visors for extra storage.

2000+ have the glow-in-the-dark Mafia escape handle in he trunk :)

2000 GT's got the Spring Feature option with two "GT" hoodstripes, polished 17" GT wheels, black lettering in the rear bumper, 01+ hood and side scoops.

Pretty cool package not many people know of, I managed to nab one somehow...

Cupholder design changed for the better after 2000 also, not sure what year... probaly 01 when all the other changes took place.