What should my first car be?

• 94/95 5.0L

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 99-04 4.6L

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
well that's just what they're advertised as, and I assume the manufacturer is referring to crank hp and not RWHP. :shrug:

I've got to say, the responses in this thread have been excellent. There was a time a couple years ago when threads like this would turn into a stupid childish 5.0 vs. 4.6 debate. It's nice to see everyone here isn't wrapped up in those kind of arguments. I too agree with everything you all have said. Both are reliable, both can be made to go fast, and both are relatively easy to mod. :nice:

i didnt even think of crank hp...that sounds about right. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i didnt even think of crank hp...that sounds about right. :flag:

Yeah there are a few guys over in the 5.0 forums that claim to have seen 320ish at the wheels, which translates to about 370 at the crank. I'd say that is possible given most guys have U/D pullies and other mods that could add a few HP. Hopefully I can get mine together early next year and find out first hand.

...remember that the aero cars are better looking than the new edge cars ;)

Well Dogg you certainly have a looker of an aero SN-95 (VERY nice - love the wheels), but we all know the new edge is truly more aerodynamic. :rolleyes::D

Seriously, it's funny how everyone has focused on the 5.0 vs. non PI 4.6 vs. PI 4.6, but I didn't see much about the looks of the different years. They are quite a bit different and for some, it's either love or hate one or the other model.

So my question goes back to the OP...which one do you like more? I think if you hunted hard enough you'd be able to find comparable cars with comparable mileage and comparable condition from any year. Just don't fall in love with the first one and decide you MUST have it. (Most) Mustangs are plentiful.

Best of Luck!
Chris

If your looking for a lower mileage 99-04 GT. You will be ending up spending $6-$8k. A high mileage 96-01 Cobra will be in the $7k-$10k range, whereas a clean 94-95 GT or Cobra will be at most $8k for a Cobra, less for a GT.

If I had say, $5k to spend, I would be looking at 5.0 Cobras without a doubt, but if I had closer to $7k I'd be looking at clean 99-04 GT's or higher mileage 96-01 Cobras. There are a couple 96-98 Cobras in my area that I would definitely be interested in if I was in the market.

Remember, we are entering the slow stage for sports car sales. Hopefully you aren't in a snow state so you could truly DD your car year round. I would start looking immediately if I were you. Learn what is on the market now, and maybe when your looking in February or March, should that car be available, you have quite a bit of leverage should the seller be asking too much and etc.

Good Luck!

I don't recommend a 16 year old sports car for your first vehicle. I'm guessing your younger and have limited income so I'd go with something newer, slower, less miles, more dependable, and cheaper to own and maintain.

The way I see it is I earned my money I want to spend it on a nice car. I've looked at Subarus/Volkswagens and ricers: Focus SVT, Cobalt SS, Neon SRT4, Acura Integra/RSX, Civic Si, and scion Tc. But none of those seem worth it compared to mustangs. Mustangs look great, are easy to find, and have lots of OEM/after-market parts/upgrades.

I love mustangs, but I'm open to any suggestions you have.

Forgot the power.
Pick whichever body style you like the most. Nothing else matters IMO. You can fix the power down the line, but you cant change the body really.

I like both of the body styles but overall I like the 99-04 better b/c little things like the hood, stock wheels, and tail lights.
I know Americanmuslce has a few more options for the 96-04.
Also looking at the 96-98 a little more the lack of Pi heads from factory is a turn off but would make a good project down the line.

If it was me I would Honestly just go with the one that looks the best to me. If you are going to be driving this car for a while and you dont like the way it looks I garuntee you wont like it. Thats just my opinion, I love the 302 engine and the capability to make easier power than the New Edge stangs but I just really like the New Edge looks a lot more and it also had to do with the fact that the bank wouldnt give me a loan for a 10+ yr old car... Yes they are the same car suspension wise and under the body but the little differences are what make each car special. So my vote goes to the New Edge.

The New Edge (99-04) hands down!!

Even if the New Edge mustangs had the same HP rating as the '95, I would STILL pick the new edge over them. Much nicer looking, and they have a nice HP advantage.

The ONLY thing I miss on my 5.0 fox is the SUPER low end torque.

Oops... I almost forgot, I also miss the easier to work on motor, and cheaper price of mods. Oh yea, plus being able to do spark plugs in half an hour tops and without needing to use a torque wrench to tighten them to spec as recommended on the 4.6 due to plug blow-outs.

And yea, there are "super techs" here who wont use a torque wrench blah blah blah :nonono:. Whatever floats your boat. For me its better to be safe than sorry.

Have you spoken with your insurance agent about the cost of the insurance premium you would be paying for the two different models Mustang you are considering? :shrug:

I'd really hate to see what agents are charging/quoting for a new driver just starting out on his/her parents insurance policy - might want to stick with something more economical, like a Focus, since you said the car is going to mostly be a daily driver for work/school anyways.

Seen way too much "high performance car, low performance driver" horror stories on the message boards and in person over the years. Be careful and responsible if you get a Mustang.

:cheers:

When I first turned 16 I purchased a mustang and full coverage was 8,000! Yes I said it, they wanted me to pay 8 friggin grand per year! So if you have cool parents make sure you put it in his or her name instead of yours.

Have you spoken with your insurance agent about the cost of the insurance premium you would be paying for the two different models Mustang you are considering? :shrug:

I'd really hate to see what agents are charging/quoting for a new driver just starting out on his/her parents insurance policy - might want to stick with something more economical, like a Focus, since you said the car is going to mostly be a daily driver for work/school anyways.

Seen way too much "high performance car, low performance driver" horror stories on the message boards and in person over the years. Be careful and responsible if you get a Mustang.

:cheers:

I talked to the agent when we set up insurance on the Fusion and I had a foxbody cobra and a 5.0 sn95 priced out both were around $500-600 per 6 months also had a newer Acura Rsx that was over $900 per 6 mo and a few hatch backs that fell between the two.

A 4.6L would fall closer to the Rsx so a 99gt could be manageable with the help of parents but a 03-04 is probably out. The kbb on those is a grand more than the 02 not sure why it jumps up suddenly.
The agent said that the pricing was mostly based on the cars value because all the cars fell into the sports coupe/hatch back and my age/use stayed the same.

Of all the cars the Scion Tc was the most because apparently most Tc drivers think they have the fastest coolest car out there and end up flying off the road...

I almost went with a '95 GT, and at times I now regret not doing it. If you're looking to go fast, there's a larger aftermarket and prices are often much less for parts compared to a 4.6 car.

That said, expect to replace more wear and tear items on an older car. My 2000 GT has been rock solid, breaking zero parts since I bought it 4 years ago at 92k, and now it's at 147k. I've drag raced it, autocrossed it, beat on it... never gives up.

plus 1....i have had a love affair with fox body mustangs since i could drive....one test drive of my 2000 gt and i forgot about the fox body....i beat my car...and a do mean beat....6000 rpm shifts are normal for me and this car purrs...buy what you want....if you are gonna go 96 98 you are gonna want pi heads...i have a pair i was gonna port but once i got them fownd out they were romoe casting....mine are windsor...whatever you choose be proud of being an owner of classic american muscle....that horse on the front represents a whole lot more than a car....happy driving

If your looking for a lower mileage 99-04 GT. You will be ending up spending $6-$8k. A high mileage 96-01 Cobra will be in the $7k-$10k range, whereas a clean 94-95 GT or Cobra will be at most $8k for a Cobra, less for a GT.

If I had say, $5k to spend, I would be looking at 5.0 Cobras without a doubt, but if I had closer to $7k I'd be looking at clean 99-04 GT's or higher mileage 96-01 Cobras. There are a couple 96-98 Cobras in my area that I would definitely be interested in if I was in the market.

Remember, we are entering the slow stage for sports car sales. Hopefully you aren't in a snow state so you could truly DD your car year round. I would start looking immediately if I were you. Learn what is on the market now, and maybe when your looking in February or March, should that car be available, you have quite a bit of leverage should the seller be asking too much and etc.

Good Luck!

Unfortunately we do get a massive snow storm every now and then in Va. We do have an 06 Subaru that got us through nearly a foot of un plowed snow w/o getting stuck (defiantly wasn't fast or easy) last year. So Hopefully Ill be able to catch a ride or take the Subaru out when we do get snow but it defiantly isn't a plus for the stangs. When we do get a big storm every thing tends to shut down anyways, we missed almost a week of school one year.

When I first turned 16 I purchased a mustang and full coverage was 8,000! Yes I said it, they wanted me to pay 8 friggin grand per year! So if you have cool parents make sure you put it in his or her name instead of yours.

Hopefully, parents have two new cars but have no accident history for the past 18 years or so and I'm only driving the Fusion "30%" of the time so it's relatively cheep. Not sure how it will all work out when we add the third car to the title though.
What did you end up paying?

Hopefully, parents have two new cars but have no accident history for the past 18 years or so and I'm only driving the Fusion "30%" of the time so it's relatively cheep. Not sure how it will all work out when we add the third car to the title though.
What did you end up paying?

Coming from someone who went through the parent's plan, it's VERY reasonable if they have a good driving record and multiple vehicles on their policy.

I think my GT was $600 something per year, full coverage.

My first Stang was a '95 GT. I now have an '04 GT. No comparison.

Save your money and wait for a low mileage 99-04.

Thoughts on this 99?

"Black 1999 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L 260 hp V8, dual exhaust)
5 speed manual transmission
Grey interior
~130,000 miles
Recently detailed and waxed - Very clean!
Alloy wheels
Rear-wheel drive
Air conditioning, cruise control
CD/Cassette/Radio
Power windows & locks
Keyless entry

Well taken care of & owned by one family since new
$4500
Serious offers only."
Miles aren't low but not horrible and the car looks clean and well maintained obviously I would test drive it and look over everything to make sure its not a lemon.
Probably low ball around 3500 and hope to end up close to 4K if it was a good car.