99 35th Anniversary Stang Gt

Wallflood

Jan 12, 2018
20180112_130424_wm.jpg 20180112_130531_wm.jpg

Greetings All long time lurker now serious buyer looking at this 1999 GT. It's supposed to be a 35th Anniversary car but I haven't verified that. The rims look close? But I can't see any ques in the interior. Hood doesn't have the black from scoop to edge.

Seller says it's a solid car with some mods (shifter, CAT deletes, clutch work) but says he can hear the timing chain at high RPM. As well he states it will need tensioners and guides so I'm guessing a new chain etc needs to be done (as well as water pump and oil pump?).

I've had V8s in the past but mostly I'm coming from the AWD turbo community so stangs and their issues are new to me. Haven't driven it yet but it's supposed to be a strong car (who's isnt).

For 2500 bucks or so is this a good deal? Anything I should be concerned about outside of the usual buyers guide?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

All 1999 Mustangs are 35th Anniversary, hence the badging on the fenders. There was an option of 5000 limited editions with a hood scoop like the '01 on had, black honeycomb deck lid applique, aluminum shift knob etc. Obviously yours is not one. You might want to price out the work it needs(timing chain and components along with oil pump replacement is kinda pricy, especially if you cannot do the work yourself). Myself I have found saving up to get a better car with less problems has worked out best for me(I am on my 34ish car now). Like most things in life its all about the budget.

How many miles? Do you hear the timing chains on start up?

If this car has over 150k miles and you can hear the timing chains on start up, consider replacing the timing set.

How's the interior?

Regarding if this is a good deal or not, think about it. For a working car just how much lower could the seller go? I have paid $1,300 for a car with no known bad motor.

It's not. Look at my avatar. Hood scoop, rear spoiler, wheels, fake side vents. Inside has grey leather inserts in the doors and gauge cluster says "35th anniversary" It was a trim package for 99 that most all came standard the years after. The only thing truly a one off is the wheels. No other mustang has them.