99 5.0 With Gt40 Or 90 5.0 H.o Into My 97?

hendog127

Oct 16, 2014
Let a "buddy" buy my 97 Mustang GT. Long story short- decided he didn't want to finish paying for it so fragged the built 4.6. Now my dilemma,have 2 motors sitting on stands-90/1 5.0 ho out a Mustang and a 5.0 out 99 Mercury Mountaineer all wheel drive . Which would be better or would it be better to swap parts off one to the other for more power (after all- that's what it's all about) ? I do also have a 5.4 out 01 F250 4X4
too. Suggestions ,tips would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Engine Specs:
1990 5.o HO: 255 HP 300 lb/ft
1999 5.0 GT40: 215HP 288 lb/ft
2001 5.4 2V: 260HP 350 lb/ft

The specs on the GT40 might be wrong, but my research shows that was the rating of the Merc in 1999. Both of these engines will work just fine in the SN95 platform. You could go the 5.0 route as that engine fits in the body style as it was factory equipped in the 94/95 GT, however I'm not sure how the 4.6 ECM will work with the 5.0. The fuel injector plugs and plug wires would work. The firing order is also the same. I think it would work just fine!

The 5.4 will need a 4.6 oil pan and pickup, but other than that it is pretty much straight forward. The 2001 engine was a coil on plug engine, but I don't see why you couldn't use the coil packs and plug wires. The exhaust will be tight and will most likely require a customer fabbed H or X pipe. I had to use a Cobra driver's side exhaust manifold on my 5.4 DOHC, but I think you can use the Mustang exhaust manifolds on the 5.4 2V without any clearance issues with the steering shaft.

IMO I would go the 5.0 route. Speed parts are a lot more affordable and available. You can build a much higher performing 5.0 versus a 5.4. The Lightning 5.4 is the exception here though. If you were able to track down the intake and supercharger from a Lightning and put it on your 5.4 then I would really go that route, however I have not seen any hoods that clearance the setup and you end up with a Mad Max look.

Whatever direction you choose, keep us posted and good luck!

Dang it! Just missed the edit cutoff on my post! Correction above on the ignition system out of the 97 working with the 5.0. The 4.6 uses a crank shaft position sensor to tell the coil packs when to fire, whereas the 5.0 uses a distributor...DUH! The 5.0 also has a crankshaft position sensor that works with the ignition module on the distributor, however I don't know that this would work with the 4.6 ECM.

I think the 5.4 will be the easiest. But it is a heavy engine. You will definitely feel it's weight.

Not really. Sullivan Performance indicates that the 5.4 SOHC on weighs 25 more lbs than the 4.6 SOHC. I really don't notice it and the ride height remained unchanged on my 5.4 DOHC which is 40 lbs heavier than the 4.6.

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/yvs450/tech/tech1.htm

The 5.4 SOHC does lack power as opposed to the 5.4 DOHC. The 2v was rated at 260 HP and 355 lb/ft in super duty trim. You would have a considerable amount more torque, but the power is the same as the 4.6 SOHC.