99 gt drivers side valve cover knock.

Thomas82

May 23, 2019
Louisville Ky
The car still runs but it makes an awful noise(not so much a knock). I was wondering if anyone had any info on what may be the problem. Im not much of a mechanic but im sure im gonna have to take the valve cover off. Is there something thats common i should look for?. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on remove the valve cover. Use a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate which cylinder is likely to be making the noise.

If this were my car I would check the roller follows for excessive bearing wear in the roller element. When one of these roller follows are worn the roller element can easily be rocked along the axis.

I have personal experience with what happens when this problem is ignored. 2005 Ford F150 3V 5.4. Roller follower bearing failed and allowed the roller follower to "escape". The end result was the valve stem keeper fell off allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder. The resulting metal carnage created a very expensive boat anchor. Broken rods. Pistons with holes in them. All this from a failed $25 part. 100% preventable.

Salvage yard motor and 100k miles later the timing chain guides needed to be replaced. While everything was open I re-inspected the roller followers and found two with wore out bearings. I gotta say it was so much easier (and cheaper) to replace a roller follower before it failed than after.

Trick Flow® Valve Spring Compressors TFS-90518