99 GT grinding in rear end

blackyote_317

Jan 16, 2019
Indiana
Hello all! I'm a new member here so check out my intro post on the Welcome Wagon if you'd like. I have a 2017 GT and recently picked up a 99 GT with 78k miles to use as a daily driver. This is my first sn95 car. The car is 100% stock as far as I can tell and seems to be healthy. I had a small issue with a fuel rail crossover line when I first got it. It was up against the EGR and had a small burn hole in the hose so it was spewing gas. Freaked me out with the gas smell but that was a simple fix.

The issue I'm tackling now is I have a metallic grinding type noise coming from the rear end. Happens at all speeds, doesn't seem affected by turning, and it does change frequency and/or pitch with speed. I believe it is in the driver's side rear wheel but I can't pinpoint it exactly. I'm going to check the dust cover tonight (how awesome would it be if it were that simple lol). I just ordered a set of brakes for all 4 corners so I plan to replace those and the brake fluid ASAP. I'm hoping the grinding noise is brakes. If not, I'm guessing it is a diff related issue which would be a bummer. I have no issue changing diff fluid but that's about as far as I'm comfortable working on diffs. Based on my symptoms, does anyone have any guesses or suggestions for tracking down the culprit?

Thanks in advance!

20190114_154438.jpg

• Sponsors (?)