99 Mustang P0340 Code Help

• Sponsors (?)

Late to the party. BUT........

IMO it's naive to think this problem is just a TPS.

This thread does not state:
  • Which CAM sensor type was used.
  • HOW the CAM sensor was installed and aligned.
Ford changed the type of cam sensor used in the V6 over the model years. The type of cam sensor needs to MATCH what the PCM is expecting.

Further, for the V6, the alignment of the cam sensor is very important. Don't cut corners here. Follow the Ford service manual procedures. Rent or buy the correct alignment tool. Remember that the tool used needs to match the type of cam sensor as well.

IMO based on the DTC code this is more likely to be an electrical wiring problem. In the DTC, the use of the phrase "Circuit Malfunction" is important. It means there's something wrong on a very BASIC circuit level.

Pay attention to the wiring to the cam sensor. Check the connector itself. Look for bent/pushed pins.

>>
P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction

The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor

• CMP circuit open
  • CMP circuit short to GND
  • CMP circuit short to PWR
  • SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
  • CMP GND open (Hall effect sensor)
  • CMP misinstalled (Hall effect sensor)
  • Damaged CMP sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP sensor
  • Damaged PCM

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I had instructions on how to install it so I re adjusted it accordingly and code still came up. I watched that video^ and the way he says to install it is pretty much the complete opposite direction of which the directions said so I guess I'm going to adjust it again how he did and see what happens btw I did have it on tdc

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet... I also noted that he said it would make the motor run regardless of how it's set but it would only run correctly in one position.
Still doing the same... so either I'm not doing it right or it's not it. Am I overthinking it? Just to recap I've checked Alternator , coil pack, spark plugs, plug wires, camshaft synch sensor, camshaft synchronizer, crankshaft sensor what else could it possibly be????!???:cry:

A
Still doing the same... so either I'm not doing it right or it's not it. Am I overthinking it? Just to recap I've checked Alternator , coil pack, spark plugs, plug wires, camshaft synch sensor, camshaft synchronizer, crankshaft sensor what else could it possibly be????!???:cry:
also think my fuel pump is going bad