99 V6 Swap Options?

Doc Hawk

Nov 3, 2009
New Mustang owner here. I had a chance to buy a '99 convertible in good shape with a grenaded motor on the cheap, so I couldn't resist owning my first pony. I am looking for my options for replacing this V6.

I am going to pull the motor and replace it. I would like to know what my best option is for dropping in another V6. The point is, I have to pull the motor anyway, so what makes the most sense starting from scratch?
  • Should I look for an 01-04 (internally balanced), or do I need to stick with a 99-early 00?
  • Could I use an 05+ V6?
  • Should I be looking for a 4.2 swap instead?
  • Is there another option that I am not thinking of?

I have done a day of searching on several forums but haven't found what I'm looking for. I see lots of V8 swaps, and people upgrading from a 94-98 V6 to a split port from a 99-04. I don't see many people messing with a New Edge split port V6. While I do appreciate that I could now move forward with a V8 swap, that will force me to do a speedo replacement and the entire drivetrain to the rear end, plus exhaust. Unless someone tells me differently, that doesn't seem particularly cost effective.

Thanks for any help,
David in San Diego

• Sponsors (?)