A-arm bushing removal

bad86stang

Sep 28, 2000
Tucson, AZ
What is the best (and easiest?) way to remove the old front A-arm bushings. When I did the rear control arms, I ended up basically burning the old bushings out with a torch, which was very stinky and messy. I later read an article on removing bushings and I thought they used a hole saw or something but I couldn't find that article. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

well the only easy way to get the rear types out is to heat the outside metal case with a torch until if just starts to melt/smoke then push the bushing out with a large screwdriver, no need to completely melt it.

the fronts are the same way, unless the new ones have the metal case, then you have to press them out, but its a real pain.

blown5.0 said:
well the only easy way to get the rear types out is to heat the outside metal case with a torch until if just starts to melt/smoke then push the bushing out with a large screwdriver, no need to completely melt it.

the fronts are the same way, unless the new ones have the metal case, then you have to press them out, but its a real pain.

I did the same thing....it worked very well :nice:

blown5.0 said:

Unfortunately, the new bushings that I am going to put in are the entire bushing/shell assembly so it looks like I only have the pain in the butt option. Actually, this is what I had to do with the rears also because those bushings were the shell/bushing ones too. If I remember, it was kind of a pain. I ended up making a special tool with some pipe fittings and did manage to press them out. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

bad86stang said:
Unfortunately, the new bushings that I am going to put in are the entire bushing/shell assembly so it looks like I only have the pain in the butt option. Actually, this is what I had to do with the rears also because those bushings were the shell/bushing ones too. If I remember, it was kind of a pain. I ended up making a special tool with some pipe fittings and did manage to press them out. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

When I did mine, I left the shells of the stock bushings in the control arm (burned 'em out w/ a torch-- can't tell you a better way to do that :rolleyes: ) then I pressed the urethane part out of the new bushing's shell and pressed it into the old shell still in the control arm. I guess you got Energy Suspension bushings? I'm not really sure why they include new shells with the front control arm bushings, anyway.

Make sure to use a heavy synthetic grease (not something liquid like WD-40) when pressing the urethane in, b/c the bushing can get stuck about half way and kind of chub out which will prevent you from pressing any further. Ask me how I know this :D .