A bit of a rant and need help finding solid C&L/SCT dealer

cowtown

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2001
Victoria, BC Canada
--Cross posted here and MS forums--

Warning - Rant ahead!

OK so I ordered up a C&L/Predator combo from RPM Outlet wayyyy back on May 29th, a couple days before I pick up my Mustang. I figured I'd have it in time for a car show on the 24th of June, half way through the month though I hadn't seen anything yet and despite the fact it was coming USPS to Canada I figured it should be there.

So I start enquiring about a ship date to their supposed e-mail help desk (can't call anyone, no sir!). A couple days later I'm told that it shipped USPS and I can't track it through the site.

Well geeze, thanks for that, it would appear that the point of the original request "I know it shipped USPS and I cant track it but can you tell me what day it shipped on?" was lost on this guy. So anyways I reply back, clarifying my request (as if I needed to). Nothing. OK, send another more tersely worded message, finally get a young lady who shirts the issue once again. I press harder basically saying I'm going to call Visa and let them deal with you if I don't get the info I want. Well she sends me back a USPS number and says use this. I go to USPS and nothing comes up. I reply back yet again saying what do I do with this and just tell me what **** day it shipped on!

Finally she replies back and says I can track it on this link here (still doesn't tell me the ship day). Well OK I click on the link and lo and behind it works this time. And wow look at that, left Texas on the 23rd (some 25 days after I ordered AND WAS BILLED) and oddly enough the same day as my last E-mail correspondance. I see that it "Arrived Abroad" on the 27th meaning I guess it's in Canada somewhere but it ain't here that's for sure!

I sent another E-mail citing that their shipping on the 23rd and skirting the issue for 2 full weeks was less than equitable for me and I wanted contact info for management. I of course haven't recieved a reply to that message yet but basically I decided that if this thing isn't here tomorrow when I get home, ye ol' Visa will be called and that will be it.

Moral of the story, RPM Outlet, if you shop there, tread very carefully, I unfortunately didn't know this until after I ordered it.

So long story aside I am less than optimistic that this thing is showing up tomorrow and I'm just tired of waiting for it to arrive. So I plan to order a C&L and possibly SCT combo (since I keep hearing about all these great online tuners). Either way where can you my faithful online brethren recommend for me to go? Obviously I want to get a good deal and ideally deal with someone who is competent in getting things to Canada (one reason I went with RPM is that they openly shipped USPS which saves me mucho $ in duty) though at this point I'd be happy with just good service.

Recommendations? Am I on the right track with the C&L/SCT? I have an auto and from what I'm reading now it's better for that than the Diablo (also another thing that would have been handy to know back then).

• Sponsors (?)

Well "funny" update to this story. The package ACTUALLY arrived today. I pop over to the postal outlet and pick it up, open it up when I get in the door. WRONG KIT.

I ordered the regular aluminum tru flow kit. It's the plastic racer kit...

This is just ridiculous, I don't even know what to do. I am sending along an E-mail which will undoubtedly be ignored, does anyone know some direct lines for RPM where I can talk to someone other than a sales flunky?

Yeah, well I guess my E-mail was of some effect. I had Ed call me (missed him though). They are offereing either I wait for a box, ship it back and wait for the return product, or I do a $100 deposit/pre-auth and they ship the replacement bits and refund/cancel the pre-auth when they receive the wrong parts. It's a hassle to be sure. I have to decide if I do it for the principle of it or live with the racer kit. I don't plan on heavily modding the engine right now so I don't know if there is a lot of point in keeping the Racer outside of heat disappation.

So Ed called again this morning without prompting which was nice. He's a pretty decent guy but basically just handles replacment of mis-shipped items. I told him that at this point I was just considering an outright return of the product and gave him some back history. He was rather shocked at some of the stuff that happened so he said that he'd make a note on my account that I was in fact serious about returning and said to send an e-mail to the exchange department and get the ball rolling. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a complete debacle, at least I have a # and a contact now.

Well that was short lived. The jerking around continues. They sent the E-mail below regarding the return of the item. Remember they put me off, essentially lying to me for 3+ weeks and then shipped me the wrong kit...

We have received your request for the return of your product for refund. After reviewing your request, it has been determined that due to the guidelines
provided on the attached Policy sheet included in your order, we are unable to accept a return on your recent purchase in sales invoice #859792 for any type of a refund. We have updated your request. Please read the following carefully. After review it has been determined we are able to accept your request for a return of recent purchase on sales invoice #859792 as an in-store credit only that will be allowed for any future purchases with rpm outlet inc.. If the free shipping option was used, the original shipping cost incurred by rpmoutlet.com will be deducted from the purchase in the amount of $38.00. After inspection of the returned component/product , verifying that the item was never been open or installed and is in new condition, at that time we will issue an in-house credit that will be applied for future purchases only and will come in the form of an email to the email address provided with your request. Please review these guidelines provided on the yellow return sheet included with your sales invoice receipt. By utilizing our RGA numbering authorization system you are agreeing to receiving an in-house credit for merchandise returned provided you have followed the guidelines provided in your exchange only policy form. Credit back to original credit card, paypal account, or any other method of payment used for your original purchase is not an available option nor agreed to by the receiver of this authorization email or by RPM Outlet Inc.. We will accept the above listed item(s) authorized with our RGA number for in-house credit only and may be applied to any future purchase(s).

So not only was the first 2 sentences a bit bizarre, but yeah the thing I want to do is have a credit on file for dealing with you when you couldn't get it right the first time?

At my wits end with this one. I may just use the damn thing because the weeks upon weeks of hassle ahead are just not going to be worth it. What will be worth it is the complete tear down of RPM on any and all Mustang forums I'm on, and I think that's up around 5 now. I'll certainly cost them more than $600US. I have sent a reply to this one, of course I don't expect a response for another day as they can't seem to reply in any kind of timely fashion and more over seem pretty useless.

what does your credit card company say about this? :)

so let me get this straight. you ordered the regular C&L, but got the racer C&L. they shipped it late and incorrectly, but wont refund your money?

RPM outlet is KNOWN to pull some crazy stuff. Us Lightning guys have had mostly problems with them shipping the wrong stuff and then charging US a restocking fee because of THEIR mistake!

Did you read their return policy on their site? It is a bunch of bull crap!

That story really opens the eyes. I've had RPM outlet on my favorites list for a long time but have only ordered from them once and had no problem. I'm taking them off my list of possible places to buy from and if you'll PM me a name or something, I'll be happy to email them and tell them so and why.

Well here we go. Some recognition of their error but a threat and no backing off of their stance that I will have to pay for shipping. In the end their error will likely cost me $100+ minimum if I go that route.

It is very discouraging to have a customer threaten to go to the BBB, FBI, internet forums as a result of not being given the answer they wanted with regards to an issue. However in this case, making threats to "drag our name through the mud" for following our posted polices, terms and conditions, is slander. This now becomes a legal issue as it is against the law to try to extort funds through these means. By publicly slandering RPM Outlet or making any false statements against us, and putting these intentions to do so in writing, provides us with the legal grounds to take any actions necessary to prevent and recover any damages we incur as a result of these actions. This email will be kept on file with our legal department should we need to proceed with this matter. We would suggest, and allow you the time to rethink this approach.

We provided a return authorization number in accordance with our written policy provided with your sales receipt. It clearly states in our terms that "all sales are final". This information has been provided on our website, on our shopping cart and the BBB has had a hard copy of these terms and conditions on file at their office for the last 5 years. We do try to work with our customers as much as possible, however we cannot accept a part back into inventory if it is not defective, as becomes a legal liability and cannot be re-sold.

Due to the verbiage in your previous email, we feel it is safe to assume you do have access to the internet.

Please understand that we are an aftermarket performance retailer and an "All Sales Final" policy is not unique to RPM Outlet. This is an industry wide practice which is necessary to keep retail prices competitive. Parts that have been previously purchased cannot be resold as new and cannot be sent back to the manufacture.

We do sincerely apologize for the fact that you are not satisfied with your products. In an attempt to satisfy this situation we did offer you an In Store credit for the towards a future purchase. This In Store credit will be for full retail value paid at time of sale, for the returned merchandise once it has been received by RPM Outlet, Inc. The In Store credit has no cash value.

My response...

Daniel your organizations reluctance to take responsibility for your errors is
what is at hand here. Slander is only slander if it's untrue or false
statements about your company. Be assured that any and all information
disclosed to anyone will be factual and the exact contents of communications
with your organization, and I have kept every single one of them.

Trying to "bully" me with legal action is a ridiculous and pitiful attempt at
dodging the issue at hand and that is your organization is fleecing me for
monies to return an item that you wrongfully sent to me. We can completely put
away the fact that you guys jerked me around for 3 weeks and look at the fact at
hand. The wrong item was sent, you also didn't include a part of the order. At
minimum you should be firing whomever picks your products for shipment as they
are not doing their job, from what I'm hearing not an unusual situation for your
group.

Perhaps I can lay out what I feel is an adequate solution for us but given that
your organisation seems to like to put up a wall this may this may not work for
you but it won't be said that I didn't try to compromise.

- If I return this item, I do not want to pay for the shipping charges either
way. I don't believe that I should have to pay for shipping to and from RPM for
an item that was sent in error. I think you can agree that this is fair. It's
not that I am not happy with the product, if it were the one I ordered this
would be a moot issue and my only gripe would be the shipping department and
their delays.

- I have no issue paying for shipping on the new item, but again this assumes
that I am not deducted shipping from the old item. I believe this is fair for
both parties. I understand that your organisation would loose some money, but
this is a cost of doing business and is something you'll have to take up with
your employees.

- If you are unwilling to agree to the shipping cost adjustments above, I want
the missing Predator PC Kit shipped to me ASAP at no charge. I will disconnect
any and all dealings with your organisation and simply sell the errant kit
online. It would appear that will be less of a hassle than having to go through
your exchange process.

Understand this. I have dealt with online vendors for years and never have I
received such contentious service, especially in the case of multiple vendor
errors. RPM is unwilling to do anything to fix their errors and this brashness
is simply remarkable, it's a wonder you get away with this on any consistent
basis. Remember, I have done nothing wrong at this point, every issue with this
order is a product of RPM's doing, some flexibility on RPM's part should be
considered mandatory at this point.

Essentially you're bullying me into taking a product that is completely the
wrong item and making me pay for your mistake, and that is just not an option at
this point. I suggest you discuss this with the powers that be in your
organization as this doesn't need to be as big of an issue as it has become.

Yeah I am still struggling to see how any of this is my fault and how I should pay for it.

I've found the BBB for the Houston area near where they are and I'll be filing a complaint. I don't appreciate bait and switch and I certainly don't appreciate being threatened for trying to back up my rights as a consumer.

Well, I guess that kills the email but keep your chin up. I'm still quietly taking them off my trusted business's' list. You have the satisfaction of knowing they'll lose more than a hundred bucks worth of business from me alone. Brake pads and G-meters and headers, Oh My! Thanks for all the info. Stuff like this just shows the value of these forums and the people on them. At least you've saved others from the same fate.