A/c schrader valves on 98 gt

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by hlinar, Jul 29, 2010.

  1. I have leaks at both high and low pressure service ports, so I thought I'd tighten or replace the valves. I used the long tool and guess what? the friggin valves are covered with black plastic cones !! 134 goes in 134 leaks out but Ican't get to the valves....

    I thought this weird so I checked my other 98 gt and same friggin thing.

    thenI checked my 98 Lincoln and no cones, valves are accessable.

    Weird. Anyone else have these cones and what did you do?


  2. pics? never heard of anything like that and i do AC work almost daily
  3. My understanding was that you have to replace the line to replace the valve. At least that's what I did.
  4. Saleen,I'll try to get a macro setting on the camera to shoot down the opening but can't guarantee a good pic looking down that small tube to the valve, or covering in mycase.

    Bhuff, so you know what I'm talking about? yours had them too?
  5. yeah, I know what you are talking about. to me, it looked like a ball inside the valve. I thought it was integral to the valve... but I guess if you want to, you could try pulling it out to see if there is a standard style valve underneath.
  6. Yeah my 96 has em like that as well,pretty weird.my low psi valve was leaking,however it stopped when I put the stop leak in,shes been holding pressure for about a month now.A/C still blowin cold.
    but thats messed up that you gotta replace the whole line,so there is no way to not lose all of the refrigerant.I dont see how there could be standard schrader valves underneath the black plate.
  7. Freon I've got. I bouught a 30 lb bottle a couple of years ago.

    I really dont want to replace both lines. I tried the freon/stopleak can twice and then i get only 4=5 days. The valve assembly has a hex nut on it so I'm wondering how much fun it'll be trying to seperate the valve ass'y from the line, being a 12 year old aluminum connection. think the threads aren't seized???
  8. Came right off. had to use a pair of vise grips because the size was between a 12 and 13 but came right off no sweat or kinking. High Pressure the same way. Now to get replacements and a vacuum...

    Thanks everyone
  9. Ford sells replacement port fittings. They are not schrader type valves, like a small ball with spring. Ford part number 19E762, both of mine were leaking, easily come off, course you will lose all or most of 134. Could not find any wrench metric or standard to fit, but came off with channel locks. Support the tubing underneath valve to prevent bending tubing