A Couple Questions About A 68 Gt Coupe??

Caveman49

Jan 12, 2018
Alabama
Hoping some of you out there might have some input:
I may have a chance to pick up a 1968 Mustang GT coupe. I haven't seen the car yet, but here's the low-down.
It hasn't run in many years (I think 10), and has been sitting under a carport most of those years, then moved out in the weather for several years.
From what I've been told is that it is a complete car with a 302/automatic. It's GT badged, the engine was supposed to have been rebuilt (but doesn't turn at this time), interior is supposed to be decent and complete.

What should I look for in the VIN and codes? I think I have an idea, and know pretty much what to look for body wise.
What would be a fair price?
Thanks for any help and input.

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest printing out a vin decoding list and see what your getting. People have been known to re-badge cars as a true GT would bring a higher price. Price would depend on whether its just a standard coupe and then the biggies are condition of the interior, engine, body and frame. Floorboards are common to need replacing. Cowl vent area, frame rails etc. In other words, price can vary greatly on a car needing work. If you can post pics of the car and some of these problem areas I mentioned, then someone here can probly give you a ballpark figure.

I agree with the possible re-badging, sounds like it might have been. I haven't had a chance to go see the car yet, hope to this weekend. I talked to the fellow today, he said he got it from the original owner, that it has a GT pkg and has been under tarp or in the weather for many years. Haven't quite figured out how many that is yet :)
Sounds to me it may be more a parts car, I'll know more when I see it. He's talking somewhere around 1k for it. I'm thinking the parts might be worth close to that if they're any good. Don't know if it's a 289 or 302, maybe froze up, C4, and more than likely an 8" with who knows what gear.
I will get a list of codes together and hopefully get it all straight when I see the car.

Thanks for the feedback.

Make sure you look for the Buck Tag under the hood. If the car is a GT it should have GT stamped on the tag. Also, a true GT will have factory dual exhaust whether it is a big block or small block. So check the VIN on the dashboard, the door data plate, and the Buck Tag. Make sure the VIN on all 3 tags match. If you send the VIN to Marti Auto, you can get an expedited Marti Report on it.

Thanks for all the input, hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out this weekend. The guy was supposed to text me some pics and the digits for VIN. It's been 2 days, nothing yet, he might have sold it. Will know more tomorrow, I'm giving him a call.
The Buck tag sounds like a Data plate, at least I've an idea now where to look for it, thanks again.