A couple Trickflow kit questions (valve springs and street/track intake)

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
I'm in the process of helping a buddy get a certain power goal for as cheap (yet with quality) as he can get.

First off, should I pick a street heat or track heat intake? This will be a "weekend warrior" for him. So track heat is what I'm going for.

Also, it will use the Stage 1 cam (.499/etc...), but do the street heat and track heat h/c/i kits have different valve springs?

Or as long as you have a TFS1 cam (street or track), you get the same springs?

I just don't want valve float occuring and grenading his engine...so do the springs need to be replaced?

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't heard of the "Street Heat" head before........but the Track Heat and Twisted Wedge both come with the same valve springs out of the box:

1.470" o.d. single spring with damper
110 lbs. @ 1.800" installed height
305 lbs. @ 1.260" open
360 lbs. per inch rate
.540" maximum valve lift

The CNC version of those heads has a spring upgrade:

1.460" o.d. double spring with damper
125 lbs. @ 1.780" installed height
376 bs. @ 1.180" open
420 lbs. per inch rate
.600" maximum valve lift

You can find all the tech specs on the Trick Flow website:

street heat is the intake. and i would go with the track heat for anyone debating, i wish i did... the question is why not??

on the different kits the only differences is thata intake no valve or head or cam difference.

I have the street kit, its a daily driver. The difference between the street kit and the track kit is the upper plenums and the valve springs are different with 10 degree retainers instead of the 7's on the street kit. I upgraded to the track heat springs because I like to wail on the engine. Trickflow sells a track heat spring upgrade kit and it specifically says it on the box. Id go with the track heat kit if I were to do it all over again.

My bad...I didn't try to say that the heads were different.

I was wondering if the "track heat" package came with upgraded springs compare to the "street heat" package?

So the street heat and track heat package have the same valve springs, but the track heat has better retainers for higher rpm?

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

What should I be looking at in terms of track heat heads and twisted wedges? What are the differences and what would it do? Is it just a porting thing (besides the valve positions)...?

Track heat springs are better and come with 10* locks and retainers. Track heat heads are the same as the twisted wedges minus the valve train and no emission ports.

Yeah, he still has got the smog pump, so I'll get a twisted wedge kit I guess.

So from what I gather the track heats have better springs than the twisted wedge heads?

Do they make a track heat intake and twisted wedge, stage 1 cam kit?

Im looking at building a 347 stroker this spring and going w/ the Trick Flow kit. I take it the Track Heat kit is the way to go?

Yes it would work, but the track heat package with the stage 1 cam would make for a very mild 347. The kit is really desinged for 302's. I have the track heat kit on my 302, I dont see any reason why you would go with the street heat.

Yes it would work, but the track heat package with the stage 1 cam would make for a very mild 347. The kit is really desinged for 302's. I have the track heat kit on my 302, I dont see any reason why you would go with the street heat.

Longer term plan is to port the heads, swap out the cam and put on a Hellion turbo

I would do the TFS Track heat head, TFS stage 2 cam and track heat intake. heads and intake port matched. TFS tech said a TFS stage 2 cam will clear P/V but u may have to degree the cam to get it to clear.

Redline-RR. On a 347 I would do the TFS 205 or AFR 205 and TFS-R or Holley systemax ll intake port matched and a custom cam from FTI, Cam Motion or Jay allen. easy 375/375 @ the RW, NA on 9:1CR and pump gas. and if u going to add a turbo u will need an aftermarket block, Dart or R302. the stock block limit is between 450-500rwhp.