A Different kind of paint question...

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
This winter (I swear I will!) I will be repainting sally's engine. For this job I got POR15's ..........yup, you got it, "Engine Paint Kit".

The engine is currently on a stand, I've pulled all the accessory (water and fuel pumps, dizzy, etc., etc...) parts and have started the clean up and prep work.
I was thinking once she was all prepped I would then pull the valve cover, timing cover and oil pan, mask those areas off then paint.
My question is, will that be enough tear-down to do a decent paint job?

The engine was running when I pulled it from the car and I don't want to mess anything up in re-assembly.

What do y'all think...???

• Sponsors (?)

well, if you're not going for authentic color matching, i'd just pull off what you don't want to eventually paint. valvecovers won't effect anything at all, nor will water pump/timing cover. but i'd leave the timing cover on if i were you, and if you're going to paint it a different color than the block, i'd just mask around it first then paint it it's color, then mask it off when you paint the block.

here's some pics of my engine. i finished it a few weeks ago, haven't been able to drop it in cause my girlfriend gave me mono :(

anyways, not the correct color scheme, and i don't know if it's the correct way to go about color seperation etc. but i painted the intake before i put it in. then i masked it off when i painted the heads/block, and i put the oil pan on, then masked it off when i painted too. the water pump came painted, and i thought it looked good when paired with the black. i ddin't take the timing cover off, as i had put the oil pan on and decided not to **** with it. i think it turned out looking really good. however, the headders i just hit with a wire wheel on my grinder to take off all the rust and crap, then painted with 1800+ degree paint. i can't afford headders yet, (i'm only 18, and, as i said, i have mono right now so my income has stopped for the time being).

here ya go:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 126
Fritz, don't be a wimp, the damn thing is out, do it right. Bring me the engine, I'll tear it down for you and mike it all out and you can decide what you want to do with it. Then I can assemble the basic engine and you can pick it up, paint it and throw the little **** back on it. Even if you don't want to overhaul it we can atleast put fresh rings and bearings in it, and a new oil pump.

WORTH said:
Fritz, don't be a wimp, the damn thing is out, do it right. Bring me the engine, I'll tear it down for you and mike it all out and you can decide what you want to do with it. Then I can assemble the basic engine and you can pick it up, paint it and throw the little **** back on it. Even if you don't want to overhaul it we can atleast put fresh rings and bearings in it, and a new oil pump.
Dammit!:fuss:
If I had known that, I would've strapped her to my back for the ferry ride last Saturday, then tossed her in the back of Dan's truck!:doh:

Keep yer eyes and ears open, eventually I'm gonna swap the original head for an "Aussie".............(if/when I can scrape together the $$$), that is when I plan on "freshening" her up.

This paint job is just a cosmetic one so I'm not putting a dirty, crusty engine back into my nicely redone front clip.

I've also got to clean up the tranny too, but I'm thinking I'll clean and "polish" then clear coat the outer casing.......:shrug:

Well..........
I spent all day yesterday cleaning, degreasing, stripping and prepping the engine (left valve cover and timing cover on).

This morning she got her POR15 primer coata, this afternoon she'll get her POR15 top coats.

YES WORTH, Eventually I will be re-building her for a few more h.p., but there are other jobs** on the car that have priority over the mechanical, as she was running beautifully before I pulled the engine.

**I'd like to have the body / paint and interior completed before I tear down the drivetrain for the semi-performance build.

Yes I know that :worthlesb: , I will post pics later..................

Meantime, here's an oldie but goodie.............

Before her first rebuild....:
attachment.php

And one after....:
attachment.php

as Pak once said...it's BBFCM doing "Wolverine" :lol:

Attachments

• 188Engine.jpg
    188Engine.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 244DUDE.jpg
    244DUDE.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 173
As Promised....

BABY PICTURES...!

The Before..:
attachment.php

and After..:
attachment.php

The color is Ford "T-Bird" Red, who knows (or cares) whether it was stock, I like it better than the Ford Blue and / or Black.:shrug:

I have a chrome valve cover to replace the current one, and a table of accessories to be cleaned, refurbished and repainted................

Attachments

• B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 206
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 213
Cool! I just painted my accessory brackets, pulleys, water pump, etc., while my rad was being rebuilt and I was changing the timing gears. It really helps give the motor a bit more of a respectable look.

Just imagine it in the engine bay now! I'lll bet you can't wait!

One note: After seeing how the last couple paint jobs flaked off the timing cover due to it being aluminum, I decided to just clean it up really good and leave it bare.

Keep up the progress!

Blue,

Looking good!

Motor will be out of Crunchsk8 within the week, and I too will be painting it. I will probably stick with Ford Blue, but the idea of painting it grey with the white & orange stripes has been brewing.......

:hail2: Thank You Gentlemen!:hail2:

As for the "bolt-ons", pulleys are going to be black as will the fan, alternator bracket, and fuel filter cap.

The alternator (casing) and fuel pump I am going to "polish" to give them a brushed aluminum - chromey look before clear coating.

The water pump and thermostat housing I painted to match the block and in addition to the chrome valve cover, I also have a chrome coil cover and bracket.

Until I can afford headers I am going to use the stock exhaust manifold which will be painted with the POR15 Manifold paint (silver) included in the kit.:nice:

**EDIT**
Of course I will be replacing the spark plugs and oil filter. I am also going to go ahead and replace the distributor this winter too, I'm gonna dump the points and go electronic.........

I'm normally not a big fan of orange, but that's a pretty shade. Looks like it's more of a reddish orange.

And enferno, that's pretty much going to be the color scheme I'm going with for Sadie's engine. Black with a few silver/grey parts.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
I'm normally not a big fan of orange, but that's a pretty shade. Looks like it's more of a reddish orange.

And enferno, that's pretty much going to be the color scheme I'm going with for Sadie's engine. Black with a few silver/grey parts.

-Chelle

simple, cheap, and pretty!

:nice:

65stanger said:
:hail2: Thank You Gentlemen!:hail2:

As for the "bolt-ons", pulleys are going to be black as will the fan, alternator bracket, and fuel filter cap.

The alternator (casing) and fuel pump I am going to "polish" to give them a brushed aluminum - chromey look before clear coating.

The water pump and thermostat housing I painted to match the block and in addition to the chrome valve cover, I also have a chrome coil cover and bracket.

Until I can afford headers I am going to use the stock exhaust manifold which will be painted with the POR15 Manifold paint (silver) included in the kit.:nice:

**EDIT**
Of course I will be replacing the spark plugs and oil filter. I am also going to go ahead and replace the distributor this winter too, I'm gonna dump the points and go electronic.........

looking good, I never cared about keeping the colors stock anyway, it just has to make you happy. Are you going with the durospark? I've got it in both the stangs and I bought the parts to do the 65 pickup also. Just haven't had the time yet. Very happy with it in the stangs. Both have been flawless since installed, and I drive the crap outta the ragtop:D