A few more pics of my turbo project.

moneypit94

May 23, 2003
Macomb, IL
Just a couple pics of some progress. I get stuck in a rut for awhile and never get anything done then i will get to work on the car for like a week straight. I have lowered my expectations and figure i will shoot for fall/winter to have it finished.

If i can get around to it i should have the cold side finished up this weekend and then i get to take all back apart to do a break in on all motor for at least 5 min just to make sure all the bigger stuff has been caught in the oil filter before going through the turbos.

The pic with just the one turbo actually shows the actual color of the block a little better.

Car 051.jpg

Car 052.jpg

Car 053.jpg

Car 050.jpg

Car 049.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

This may sound bad but i don't remember the exact specs. When i ordered the kit at first we were looking at pt-66's and after Brian called up percision turbo and told them what we were doing they said to bump up the to the pt-67's and I belive the A/R is like .85 if not they are .96. And i believe there p-trims I need to get ahold of Brian and see exactly what they are. I knew what they were at one time but after PT talked to brian im not sure exactly what they ended up being.

The waste gates i have are tial 44mm and i have a tial 50mm bov.

Looking good! Why are you running ported compressor covers with an auto? From the little I know about them they are designed for street driven 5 speed cars to help with compressor surge at part throttle. I've heard that they will cost some power on auto equipped cars.

Ported shrouds are used for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is for smaller cubic inch engines especially when using a larger compressor. A number i see a lot is 250 c.i. or below. Well that may not seem like i would have a problem there, but when you split my motor in half and put one to each turbo and I run into this problem also. I know personally of a few people out there with larger ci twin turbo combinations out there using ported shrouds.

www.turbobygarrett.com said:
A Ported Shroud compressor is a feature that is incorporated into the compressor housing. It functions to move the surge line further to the left by allowing some airflow to exit the wheel through the port to keep surge from occurring. This provides additional useable range and allows a larger compressor to be used for higher flow requirements without risking running the compressor into a dangerous surge condition. The presence of the ported shroud usually has a minor negative impact on compressor efficiency.

This is a street car, It's whole purpose was to see how far i could push the car and still keep it streetable. And the way Brian put it when i get on it it should feel like a really big hit of nitrous. Plus I hear it makes the turbos much louder. :)

Far as the comment about the parachute. Well Im going to wait till i get everything tuned and then get kicked out the track once before i start messing with that mess.

Thanks for the complements guys.

Maybe here shortly I can get the fuel system done. Then after that its the thing im regretting most, wiring everything up. I only moved the fuse box back about 12"s but i have a feeling im going to have to lengthen everything especially if i want to keep things hidden and neat. Not to mention wiring up the batterey box and shut of switch.

moneypit94 said:
Thanks for the complements guys.

Maybe here shortly I can get the fuel system done. Then after that its the thing im regretting most, wiring everything up. I only moved the fuse box back about 12"s but i have a feeling im going to have to lengthen everything especially if i want to keep things hidden and neat. Not to mention wiring up the batterey box and shut of switch.

I was gonna ask if that was the fuse panel back by the brake booster. Don't know it you're set on keeping it there, but if all of the piping inside the driverside fender is done, it looks like you might have room to put the fuse box in there with minimal modification. Just a thought, good luck and that engine scares me too.