A few quick questions from a new guy...

Coppell66

Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find the answers to what I need, so I thought I'd toss them out in the hopes that someone will have an answer or two. I recently bought a 66 coupe (Emberglo exterior, parchment interior, 6-cylinder, C-4 automatic, original factory AC) that was used as a daily driver and is good shape overall, but needs little luvins in a lot of areas. I'm a pretty good mechanic but no pit crew chief, and need someone to slap me in the head and point me in the right directions at times.

My first question concerns the original center console...it's pretty beat up and needs to be restored. I know I can order a new insert and other parts for it, but want to know if I can - or should - use vinyl dye on it? Or if not, can someone point me in the right direction of how to go about restoring it correctly?

My second question is more specific to my area. Can anyone in the North Texas D/FW Metroplex recommend a good AC shop? The thing has a leak somewhere and I haven't been able to track it down and need someone with more brains than me to find it.

Thanks in advance for your patience and any replies!

Coppell66

• Sponsors (?)

They use to sell a dye that pinpointed leaks in the older AC system I dont know if they still do. You might want to check since it be cheaper then letting a mechanic do it.

Using a plastics paint (one with a flex agent added to it) on the console would be my choice over replacing the console as it would be much cheaper and the results could very good. The base center console goes for over $200 for a good reproduction, while a can of paint will go for a few bucks. Try the paint first. If the results are not good, then be prepared to open up that wallet. The metal inserts can always be replaced, but they too are not cheap. If you think they might be salvagable, try some fine (00?) steel wool on the inserts and see if they clean up.

Just did this for my '66 vert w/Parchment

I bought the paint from Dallas Mustang. picked up 4 cans. Not one can matched the original interior or each other!!! The MFG label said Rainbow paint company. I think these people have been sniffing too much of the paint. It pretty much sucks.

I found the can that came closest to the correct color and painted the whole thing. On the original metal I used some 00 steel wool with dishsoap and water then repainted the black with Satin black paint from OSH. Matches great with the glove box and instrument cluster. Used 30 minute epoxy and microballoons to fill a crack after installing. I should have just filled the crack and painted it before installing. Would have been easier.
I put a T-5z in at the same time so I didn't have the shifter in the way. That would be a real PITA.

There may be a "light" parchment paint. If so that would be the correct color. Maybe later years the parchment was a little darker.

I'm going to try to attach a picture. of the after. I didn't take a before picture as it was so ugly I was afraid of ruining the camera :(

OK, I couldn't attach the picture so here is a URL for a thread I posted on another site that has pictures.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_599071/tm.htm

HTH,

Good luck!

Scott