A Good Deal ?????

webestang

Jul 5, 2004
St. Louis, MO.
I am missing my 78 so much I want another Stang II. A member of my local Stang club has a 76 for sale. All stock 302 auto coupe, blue, 62,000 miles, very little rust, burns no oil, very clean, new brakes/tires/exhaust. He is asking $1500 but will take $1200.
A good deal???
I would like to make this my daily driver and use my current driver (88 5.0 LX Ragtop) for fun.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd hate to use a MII for a very long daily commute...not just to protect the car, but also from a maintanence perspective. But if I was going to do so, the 302/auto combination would be the way to go.

The price sounds good, especially knowing some of the history and repair record as you do.

If the engine has not been overhauled at some point, I'd suggest pulling the valve covers and look at the valve stem seals. If they are disentegrating, replace them and clean the oilpan and oil pump pickup. Many of the 70's 302's have seized after a bit of valve stem seal worked its way into the oil pump and seized it.

Boy, do I know that one!! 2 weeks before the Mustang 30th Annv. when I had a 78 with a 302 the oil pump seized. I did not have a chance to fix Her so I had to drive my Toyota at the time. I have been using my 88 for a daily driver for 2 years, no ploblems. Maybe I will get this 76 for everyonce and awhile driving. Put on fresh paint and use Her for shows as well. I would be the only Stang II in the club but that would be cool!!

webestang said:
Boy, do I know that one!! 2 weeks before the Mustang 30th Annv. when I had a 78 with a 302 the oil pump seized. I did not have a chance to fix Her so I had to drive my Toyota at the time. I have been using my 88 for a daily driver for 2 years, no ploblems. Maybe I will get this 76 for everyonce and awhile driving. Put on fresh paint and use Her for shows as well. I would be the only Stang II in the club but that would be cool!!

That sounds like a pretty good deal

Here is the problem you live in ST. Loius I live in belleville IL just on the other side of the river from you they salt the heck out of these roads around here so rust might be a problem.

Also I love my II but with gas prices knocking on the $2.00door If it is stock you should be able to get 19-20 mpg though I would look into a T5 setup for a daily driver I'm luckyto get 15 on the highway with my current setup probably worse with the 3.40 Posi I dropped in 2 years ago.

TheEvII said:
Knocking? Gas prices here have busted the damb door down. We're looking at about $2.15 for regular today. :mad:

YUP, yup here too, in fact, my daily driver caddy likes the premium, so thats what it gets every week and those are dam big gas tanks. someone shoot me now...but its still worth it. :D anyway, thats a damn good deal on that II. You'd be crazy to let that be passed over, especially with very little rust.

Gas here in St' Lou. is about $1.85. My 88 gets 16mpg. So I am used to high gas bill. Salt!! Yep, I know about salt. My 88 has no rust at all. I keep Her VERY clean and waxed all the time. Drove to the 40th and got a "Award of Excellence". Yeah!!
Boy there were some SWEEEEET!!!! Stang II's there at the 40th!!!
Seams most of you think that 76 is a good deal. I know the guy from my Mustang club and He is very good at taking care of His Stangs.