a good idea, or not?

98COBRA281

10 Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Port St. Lucie, Florida
i am going to be doing my head swap soon, and i thought while im i right there, how much harder would it be to pull the motor out, put new main & rod bearings, and get the cylinders honed and new rings, it would be like a new motor, it does have about 103k on it now, i know what work is involved, and it wouldnt cost that much more....

Edit... oh yeah, and a new oil pump

• Sponsors (?)

3 times the work IS much more work, it's 3 times the work. Think about it, $50,000 might get you a Shelby GT500 if you own a dealership and know a lot of people and are very lucky, but 3 times that, $150,000, will get you a Ford GT. Huge difference.

3 times the work IS much more work, it's 3 times the work. Think about it, $50,000 might get you a Shelby GT500 if you own a dealership and know a lot of people and are very lucky, but 3 times that, $150,000, will get you a Ford GT. Huge difference.

i dont see where its 3 times the work, when its apart down to the block, the only thing you would have to do to remove the engine is the crossmember, drive shaft, shifter, motor mounts, and a few other little things, once its out all you have to do is pull the bottom end apart, push the piston and rods out, and your pretty much done... and then put it all back together

i know its alot of work, ive pulled motors out of over ten different types of cars and trucks all the same way, with tranny attached, i pulled a 5.0 and tranny out of a 89 f-150 tuesday...once its out, pull the thanny off, and put teh engine on a engine stand, its a peice of cake after that....