A lil pic whoring of the Explorer motor teardown

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
Well I dont have an engine hoist, but I am getting one for tomorrow. As of now, the engine I got from a 97 Explorer is still sitting in the back of my neighbor's F250, luckily for me, I am the only one who drives it, so it basically just sits. When the guys at the junkyard put the motor in, the put it on its side, so I have been disassembling it sideways. I have all of the accessories off, the upper and lower intake and most of the wiring and vacuum crap. I also mocked up my 70 mm TB to the exploder, and it looks like I won't have to do any "port matching" on the intake, it looks perfect! anyway, to the pics!

jdub001.jpg

jdub002.jpg

jdub003.jpg

jdub004.jpg

jdub005.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

lol, they have some nice surface rust on em, I am gonna do a light sanding on them, I'll leave the rest for you to cleanup:D

That TB is gonna need a good cleaning as well, it has some slight corrosion and it was momentarily stuck shut, but it opened right up when I gave a quick jab with my finger.

Good news is it was running like 3 weeks ago, I was the first to start plucking parts off of it and I called him the day after they got it... Thank you Craigslist lol

heck yeah, Im down for cleanin some heads, I cleaned some e7's the other day and ported em out and then threw em on the car, so these will be no different, plus these will have good springs and lots of bowl work :D Should flow enough to put me in the 12.9 range solidly!! Ill get the tb workin as well, as my intake is cut for a 70mm as it sits. After I get the pile goin im goin to start savin for a 94-98 gt for a dd, drivin a racecar everyday to school is not good, this way I can awaken the beast if some turbo civic temps me or other import garbage.

Well hurry and get that bitch goin, I want to have a track day in April at Silver Dollar. 88gtStreetrod-Steve said he'll try and make it, I think I talked to pacecar-steve, I am not sure if he was too wasted to comprehend or not lmao, and I am definately going, you need to get that damn car put together and we'll line em up!

I don't know about that... a 125 shot and some MT DR's will put you in your place!!
I need to modify my mod list, put your planned combo in here and we'll ee who looks better on paper!!

I might be on my street tires,toyo proxe TR1's so they shouldn't hurt me toomuch. Ok my mods will be:
255 lph FP
70mm Mass air
70mm TB
125 shot
explorer u/l intake
3.73 gears
electric fan
tri ax short shifter
lowering springs
subframe connectors
O/R H and flows
and thats bout it, my susp.is being put off, but I might have the money by then to get some LCAs

ite here then:
56k exploder shortness block
frpp kc clutch
frpp 1.72 rollers
frpp b cam
bbk longtubes with o/r pipe and flows
gss 340 fp
kenny brown weld in subframes
torque box weld in plates
drag shocks on rear
lowering springs in front
no a/c
no smog
no sound deading
no carpet or anything in hatch except the batt.
no radio
fully ported and polished intake cut for a 70mm tb, outflows a gt40
stock tb for now with egr plate
mac cai
under drive pulleys
electric fan
fully ported e7 heads, waiting on arrival of gt40p'z they will have same treatment
I think it has 3:45 gears?
lincoln mk7 rear
5 lug conversion
fiberglass hood
95 gt mass air 70mm to be upgraded with a 80mm and 30lbers when heads are done
no fog lights
and a small whistling sound maybe?
and some other crap. Spinnin in 3rd!!

Keep in mind that your explorer intake does not have EGR passages so you will lose your EGR system, this is a potential head ache because it could cause running problems, it will most likely trigger the CEL, and emissions may be tougher to pass, also you will need to either relocate your ACT sensor to the intake tube, or drill and tap the #5 intake runner on the lower manifold. If I were you, I would fix the problem that your car has now, any problems that go unfixed will amplify when you try to modify something.

Good luck, we'll have to race when you get the new engine in.

Keep in mind that your explorer intake does not have EGR passages so you will lose your EGR system, this is a potential head ache because it could cause running problems, it will most likely trigger the CEL, and emissions may be tougher to pass, also you will need to either relocate your ACT sensor to the intake tube, or drill and tap the #5 intake runner on the lower manifold. If I were you, I would fix the problem that your car has now, any problems that go unfixed will amplify when you try to modify something.

Good luck, we'll have to race when you get the new engine in.

It has an ACT in the #5 intake runner now, and the exploder motor had EGR, unless there ia anothr reason for a tube going from the header to a valve on the side of the intake, I can post pics.

I never said the explorer motor doesn't have EGR, just the intake does not have it like a mustang does, so it wont work that way. You said it already has the ACT in the runner so the intake also may have the EGR passages in it. I thought that 97+ got GT40p heads and an external EGR system.