A Link For Those Interested In Building The 2.8

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
We have had a few members asking questions about the 2.8 lately. As I was doing a little research about the 2.8 since I have never done anything with them, I ran across this article from therangerstation.com. I have no idea if any of the parts stated are still being produced/sold, but it looks like if you are interested in doing a 2.8 build, there may be some aftermarket support for you. Thanks to whoever posted this on therangerstation.com website and I hope they don't mind the link posted here.

Ford Ranger/Bronco II 2.8 liter Engines

Also, quite a while ago, I remember a magazine article about a prostreet II with a blown 2.8. I suppose there may be a possibility that one could find even more than what is listed in this link....

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That link is one of the best 2.8 resources out there. The parts are pricey, but still available. The intake and carb combo alone is reported to bring you up to around 160hp, which well exceeds the 302 of the time.

There was reportedly a rare turbo 2.8 setup available that I'm aware of (Spearco AK Miller). I loosely modeled my 2.8 custom turbo build after it (I did a write-up here some time ago). She screams now.

One more resource 2.8 owners with more than the usual sewing-machine ticking sounds (even after valve adjustment) might be interested in is here:
New 74 82 83 84 85 86 Ford 2.8 Rocker Arm shaft assy set Bronco II Ranger | AAAA Automotive

Those shafts commonly wear and have sent more than a few 2.8's to the junkyard prematurely. I picked a set up a few weeks ago to keeps as a spare, they're inexpensive and are only getting harder to find.

Here's a rear thermostat housing that fits, 4-seasons part 84878 (you'll rarely find a 2.8 without the bolts frozen into it, or the threads stripped out -- if you ever need to change your thermostat or water pump, you'll want one):
Amazon carries it, you can also find it on eBay and elsewhere.
Amazon product ASIN B000C2UWPOView: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2UWPO?tag=stangnet-20&creativeASIN=B000C2UWPO

And last but not least, here's the only currently available, proper clutch for the 2.8 with RAD4:
07-008 Clutch Kit: Ford Mustang, Mustang II, Mercury Capri - 9½" (good quality and perfect fit)

Reactions: 1 user