Paint and Body A lot of rust behind the front driver-side wheel but none on the passenger side.

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I have noticed quite a bit of rust behind the wheel on the front driver-side but there is barely any on the passenger side? What could cause this? also, what other places should I look for rust?
4061285E-7435-431D-9AA4-367C9B71037C.jpeg
6A7A88CD-0600-41CF-A249-FD18FEE2D00E.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

Leaking master cylinder and brake fluid spils eats away paint and starts the corrosion problem
JMO and not based on any real mechanical experience
That makes sense. I did have a leaky proportioning valve right there. Thanks. Another question. This is a couple feet behind my front-drive side wheel. It looks like it’s rusted or broken some how and has some kind of moisture on it… is that exposed copper? What could the moisture be?
61EA3AC2-4B17-499A-9215-D80E688EF81D.jpeg

Is it a wire harness or the speedometer cable?
The speedo wouldnt work if that was the cable right? It works all fine (except it is 10 mph slow lol)
Might be a wire harness... judging by the area do you have any idea as to what the fluid may be? ATF is my best guess because thats what it is closest to but that doesn't really make sense and there is only a small leak there shouldnt be that much fluid (especially because the car has been sitting...)

:doh:
Sorry, have'n a tough day,
You ain't worked on too many cars right?
Do you plan on doing more work to the car? If so then get an assembly manual for your year/model, not a chilton or haynes,
there's an O ring or two where it slides into the trans, you may have to remove the speedo gear to get to one, I maybe wrong, been a while and I'm easily confused.
I'll run out to the garage and check my magic book.

Last edited:
:doh:
Sorry, have'n a tough day,
You ain't worked on too many cars right?
Do you plan on doing more work to the car? If so then get an assembly manual for your year/model, not a chilton or haynes,
there's an O ring or two where it slides into the trans, you may have to remove the speedo gear to get to one, I maybe wrong, been a while and I'm easily confused.
I'll run out to the garage and check my magic book.
No I am pretty new to this. I do have a manual though im pretty sure it is a haynes... and I didn't even think to check it. Ah I see, so it is ATF? Thank you sir