A newbie needs some help from you Chicago locals

hayseed

Oct 8, 2004
Im in the Navy up here at Great Lakes and my 2000 GT is about to become a daily drive. Im a little weary of driving it in the snow, seeing that Im a Florida native. Ive driven in the snow before but with front wheel and four wheel drive vehicles. Now, Ive got common sense and I know about the importance of good tires, putting a little weight in the trunk and not getting into the gas to much but what Im wondering about is rust proofing the vehicle. What would you recommend and about how much would I be looking at for sealing that baby up? Any help would be appreciated. :shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

P. Henry said:
buy a winter car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be the ideal solution but unfortunately it cant happen. The only thing that I have going for me is that I live 2 miles from work and Im only driving to and from work during the winter.

Damn, makes me wish I was back in FLA where we dont have to worry about these things. Then again, they have to worry about their cars being blown away or smashed by a falling tree.

One thing is for certain, I gotta get some new shoes for it before the first snow.

I would still recommend getting a undercoat on the car most cars from the midwest already come with it from the dealership but like mine which was originally a arizona car didn't have it (along with a rear defroster) you can go to a zeibart or something of the same sort and get it done for around $200 trust me it's worth it if you plan on having the car for 4-5 years or more. Keeping it clean with a good coat of wax will be good enough for the paint just be sure come spring to use a paint cleaner and re-wax it.

Go to your local parts store and get yourself some rubberized undercoating. Do the door seams and other various seams, like in the shock towers and floors. If and when you move away, back to better land, you can remove the undercoated from your door seams with some precleano solvent. This will keep the salt out of the seams in the mean time though!

3M makes a great clear/amber rust proofing spray. Most body shop supply places carry it. You'll need about 4-6 cans to cover the underside, and in the doors, trunk, under the hood.
Buy 1 or 2 bags of sand to put into the trunk for weight, even if you have traction lock. (most/all V-6's don't
And, learn not to over drive the weather, try to keep moving, coasting to almost a stop if it is safe, then moving on.
And, you will find out Mustangs suck on the snow.