A Rather weird problem..

Macksta

Oct 4, 2004
Ok City
2002 mustang gt 4.6 Problem

Problem first noticed after i installed MSD ignition about 6 months ago. (not sure if this is the problem though)

Right after MSD installation the car would "sputter" i guess this is the best way to describe it. An example of the "sputter" would be driving your car at 10 mph and quickly tapping the accelerator multiple times a second and having the car jerk back and forth. it really pisses me off...

I had stock spark plugs so i switched to brisk and problem went away.. Now here is where it gets weird...

It is unknown to me when this issue started back again but i would start my car in the morning and the car would idle fine for a minute, then idle rough & then turn itself off ( if i try to give it gas when its about to die it "sputters").

I am not sure if this is relevant or not but once temperature climbes a bit the car is able to keep a steady idle but when i drive it it will "sputter" on the road for about 3 minutes or until temperature gets to normal driving and then the issue goes away like magic or something. Then the car is great for the rest of the day until morning....

Get this, I can leave my car parked at work for up to 10 hours in the day and when i get off of work and drive her home there is no problem.. yet EVER morning the problem comes back. It is like I am in a mustang groundhog day!

It makes no sesse at all. sometimes i can get home at 12 oclock at night.. park her in the garage and then when i wake up 6 hours later the problem is there EVERY morning. yet when i drive to work and let it sit for 10 hours, then drive her home fine.

I replaced MAF, checked all vacume lines, replaced CAI and i have yet to fix the problem... I do have an exhaust leak though...

I have 91 octaine tune by breenspeed on my car using the SCT livewire. Have tried getting gas from multiple places, took the car back to stock from the tune.. it just will NOT go away.

when i change my oil i always change fuel filter and recharge CAI. I went as far as to buy a red-top battery to pray this somehow fixed my issue. And help would be extremely appreciated.

MY buddies are pretty mechanically inclined, they put 5.0's in trucks, build motors, install their own gears and they have no idea and blame it on being a modular lol. If someone can help me i may just buy you a small mod for your car or something...

I am headed to the garage to pop open my hood, smoke allot of cigs and get nothing accomplished. :(

Current Mods:

Drivetrain

-Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
-FRPP 3.73 gears -
-FRPP Aluminum Drive Shaft

Performance

-JLT CAI
-Accufab Plenum
-Accufab 75mm TB
-Steeda UD Pulleys
-Steeda Timing Adjuster
-MAC Long Tube Headers
-MAC Pro Chamber
-MAC Cat Back
-MSD Coil Packs
-Brisk Plugs
-SCT LiveWire
-Tuned by BreenSpeed

Other
Red Top Battery
-Nitto NT555 245/40-18 up front
-Nitto NT555 285/35-18 out back

• Sponsors (?)

Problem first noticed after i installed MSD ignition about 6 months ago. (not sure if this is the problem though)

Right after MSD installation the car would "sputter" i guess this is the best way to describe it. An example of the "sputter" would be driving your car at 10 mph and quickly tapping the accelerator multiple times a second and having the car jerk back and forth. it really pisses me off...

I had stock spark plugs so i switched to brisk and problem went away.. Now here is where it gets weird...

It is unknown to me when this issue started back again but i would start my car in the morning and the car would idle fine for a minute, then idle rough & then turn itself off ( if i try to give it gas when its about to die it "sputters").

I am not sure if this is relevant or not but once temperature climbes a bit the car is able to keep a steady idle but when i drive it it will "sputter" on the road for about 3 minutes or until temperature gets to normal driving and then the issue goes away like magic or something. Then the car is great for the rest of the day until morning....

Get this, I can leave my car parked at work for up to 10 hours in the day and when i get off of work and drive her home there is no problem.. yet EVER morning the problem comes back. It is like I am in a mustang groundhog day!

It makes no sesse at all. sometimes i can get home at 12 oclock at night.. park her in the garage and then when i wake up 6 hours later the problem is there EVERY morning. yet when i drive to work and let it sit for 10 hours, then drive her home fine.

I replaced MAF, checked all vacume lines, replaced CAI and i have yet to fix the problem... I do have an exhaust leak though...

I have 91 octaine tune by breenspeed on my car using the SCT livewire. Have tried getting gas from multiple places, took the car back to stock from the tune.. it just will NOT go away.

when i change my oil i always change fuel filter and recharge CAI. I went as far as to buy a red-top battery to pray this somehow fixed my issue. And help would be extremely appreciated.

MY buddies are pretty mechanically inclined, they put 5.0's in trucks, build motors, install their own gears and they have no idea and blame it on being a modular lol. If someone can help me i may just buy you a small mod for your car or something...

I am headed to the garage to pop open my hood, smoke allot of cigs and get nothing accomplished. :(

Current Mods:

Drivetrain

-Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
-FRPP 3.73 gears -

Performance

-JLT CAI
-Accufab Plenum
-Accufab 75mm TB
-Steeda UD Pulleys
-Steeda Timing Adjuster
-MAC Long Tube Headers
-MAC Pro Chamber
-MAC Cat Back
-MSD Coil Packs
-Brisk Plugs
-SCT LiveWire
-Tuned by BreenSpeed

Other
Red Top Battery

Posted via Mobile Device

Current Mods:

Drivetrain

-Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
-FRPP 3.73 gears -

Performance

-JLT CAI
-Accufab Plenum
-Accufab 75mm TB
-Steeda UD Pulleys
-Steeda Timing Adjuster
-MAC Long Tube Headers
-MAC Pro Chamber
-MAC Cat Back
-MSD Coil Packs
-Brisk Plugs
-SCT LiveWire
-Tuned by BreenSpeed

Other
Red Top Battery

Did you open up plug gap?
And are you still runing stock coils?

Posted via Mobile Device

Johny, I bought the Brisk Premium LGS Spark Plugs that require no gap. I am also still running the MSD coils. Have not yet tried to go back to the stock coils.

This morning I unplugged the negative battery cable and let the car re-learn idle. problem went away.. for now. i bet it comes back rather quickly. it always does :(

oh!! i got it, i know my LS-1 did the same thing i found out i over oiled my k&n and that **** up my mas air sensor it could be lots of things mafs, tps, iac, bad tune, outer than that i dont know i hate stuff like this when your car 'acts up' and you take it to the shop
it runs perfectly i would rather have a damn piston fly through the hood that way u know what's broken, sorry i couldn't be more helpful good luck bro
:shrug:

I also think it's an over oiled K&N Filter. Remove your CAI and MAF. Purchase specific MAF cleaner - sold at Advanced Auto Parts (and probably others) and a paper air cleaner. Follow the directions...it's easy. R&R your K&N with the paper filter. Reassemble. I'd bet the problem will be gone for good.
Then clean your K&N VERY thoroughly, and oil lightly. Let it dry for 8 hours or more. The more time the better. Then try try again. Good Luck!

Yeah over oiling is a common occurrence with K&N Filters. It's tempting to put more oil on than is really needed. This is a case where less is more!
BE CAREFUL handling the MAF. I removed the MAF sensor and accidentally dropped it from about 3 feet to the garage floor. It's not a heavy part, but it's very sensitive and susceptible to damage. It broke one of the wires and ended up in my junk parts bin. Quite honestly, I was surprised it broke. I was kicking myself for letting it drop, but I was really surprised that this short drop killed it.

Well here is the latest.

Today my car started sputtering again on the way to work. drove fine the few times I went to take it across the street at the local smoking spot. Ater work. i started her up and started to drive out to the street. Car ran fine with no hesitation or sputtering. as soon as i got to the city streets i hear a noice form the engin and the sputtering immediately starred. I knew something was wrong as my car has never done this mid-day. only in the mornings. Drove her to my friends house, he took her for a ride and said it was clearly missing bad. This is the first point in the entire time this issue has gone on that the car has started backfiring which scared the heck out of me not because it is loud. but because my baby is sick :(

We decided to take my MSD coil's off and replace the plugs and coils with my stock ones. Well, we got seven of them off. one of the MSD coils is still on there as the dam screw is cross-threaded into the intake...

Anyhow, i started the car and it clearly ran like Sh** and we heard some poping/backfire We figured i needed to return my car;s tune back to stock as it was programed for MSD. Car still ran bad like it was missing.

Now that all seven coils are replaced and the problem is still there i thought maybe it could be that 1 coil that was the bad one but now when i start the car we can clearly hear when the MSD coil fires because the spark is stronger and we can hear it through the exhaust.

I have an idea on how to possibly fix all problems at the same time and tell me if this is crazy or not.

So i have three potential problems right?

1: the mystery sputtering/missing problem that has been going on for such a long time (which started the day i installed the coils as noted in my first post)

2: the dam MSd coil cross-threaded to the intake

3: The potential over-oiled k&n filter you guys speak of

My solution? Purchase the tork tech blower which comes wit a new CAI,mass air,plugs,coils/intake/tune.

think this idea is suicide for my car as i'll put a blower on a F'ed up car or do you think this could potentially fix the problem. I mean, since there are no qualified shops around here for modded mustangs, i am sure we would "find" the problem when when get the car dyno-tuned right?

:mad:

Thinking out loud here... I have a steeda timing adjuster on my car that is set @ 10 degrees. Even though my car still runs like crap when I remove my tune, I wonder if the 10 degrees that is manually set via the timing adjuster is conflicting with the timing set on my sct livewire tune from breenspeed?

wow I really know nothing about cars...

back firing! now i would
#1 take ur time and perform a good visual inspection every wire fuel line vacuum hose
#2 re check fuel filter
#3 check spark plugs make sure all are tight
#4 have u cleaned ur mas air?
#5 u might have damaged the coil you mentioned differentially starting to sound like a bad coil now that it's back firing
#6 check all o2 sensors and connectors /wires
#7 if you still have cats check em out, a restricted cat will make car run like ****

just some simple checks you can perform yourself too save time and money, before having
a shop look at it, OBTW guys let me know if i forgot to mention anything else:scratch:

Thinking out loud here... I have a steeda timing adjuster on my car that is set @ 10 degrees. Even though my car still runs like crap when I remove my tune, I wonder if the 10 degrees that is manually set via the timing adjuster is conflicting with the timing set on my sct livewire tune from breenspeed?

wow I really know nothing about cars...

so much going on...

If you advance the timing with a mechanical timing adjuster, then advance the timing with the tune, yes, you will have issues. Set the mechanical adjuster to zero or remove it. That should have been done when you got the tune. You're now running whatever timing is in the tune PLUS 10 degrees. Of course it isn't running right.

Once you fix that, see what's left. You can probably go back to the MSD coils, so you have 8 matching units instead of a mis-matched set.