A survivor from the days of Modded Mustangs forums. Need feedback on Camshafts

sethgunn

Dec 4, 2012
Hi all,

I really hope this place is much more active than Modded Mustangs has been lately. I have a 99 Mustang GT Convertible. Long story short a few years ago I got a rod knock and tore down the car. Now I have a fully built shortblock with all forged internals, a tubular K-member, and a set of coilovers. I re-routed my wiring harness and moved the battery to the trunk and the fuse box inside the fender well to make room for a custom turbo build.

Here's where I need the help:

I've used the Windsor block and heads for my build. I'm up to the camshafts and springs now. My problem is all the blower cams I can find use the bolt on style cam gears like what the Romeo engines used (I also have one of these blocks with all accessories in stock). Should I be worried about this? There is also a difference in the way the cams are bolted on between these two types of heads. The Windsor I'm using has small U-shaped attachment points where the bearings sit and the Romeo used an oddly shaped bracket that extended half the length of the head and extended down at the bearing points.

Like I said, I can't find any aftermarket cams that use the style of the Windsor block and heads I'm using. Is there a problem with using the bolt on style gears on these heads? Are the press fit style superior or inferior? Any thoughts?

If this gains any traction I can provide pictures later on.

Thanks guys, Look forward to hearing from somebody!

• Sponsors (?)