A4LD: A POS Tranny

I'm not too sure on Ford Transmissions, but I have a '93 2.3L LX with a a4ld and its shifting kinda hard into reverse. I'm not a mechanic, so I really don't have a clue as far as trannys go. I think its a primary pump problem but not sure. Any ideas? Does this have to involve a rebuild to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it's a POS all right. That's why I ripped mine for a T5. :) Does it sorta *clunk* into reverse, and does it do it harder when cold than when it's hot? Mine did that for over two years and kept running okay, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Ash

a4ld.jpg

this is the fate of all A4LD's...

first one broke overdrive

second one broke bellhousing in half, put weight on torque converter and ruined front pump

third cracked casing in half...

fourth had explorer hard parts and a shift kit... broke overdrive band

now I have a T5 and I've driven the car harder than its ever been beat on. Its faster, more fuel effecient, and more reliable. I dont know why I ever dropped THOUSANDS into those stupid automatics...

mustangsinc said:
I'm not too sure on Ford Transmissions, but I have a '93 2.3L LX with a a4ld and its shifting kinda hard into reverse. I'm not a mechanic, so I really don't have a clue as far as trannys go. I think its a primary pump problem but not sure. Any ideas? Does this have to involve a rebuild to fix?
You better fix it or it won't work!

mustangsinc said:
Yes It clunks hard in reverse and does exactly what you said. I am newly converted back to the Good side (domestics) from being a ricer, but if I have any more major problems with this car I am going to sell it and get another Honda.

Then just leave it, it did me no harm at all in two years of doing it. Did it when I got the car, did it when I yanked the tranny for the last time. :D

Ash

Mine currently when it is cold outside you can go into reverse and then nothing after backing up and trying to shift into drive you sit there and sit there and sit there and finally aftter a few revs you can move forward. In the Warm weather it works perfectly. This situation is not solved by warming up the car for any ammount of time.