A4LD cooler line leak. (Quick Disconnect) help please

ElectraJim

Jun 4, 2010
I have an 88 Mustang 2.3 with the A4LD (I think) automatic transmission.
I had to R&R the transmission. The cooler lines leak where they enter the transmission. I believe they are "Quick Disconnect" lines.

My question is do the hard lines need an O-ring of some sort where they enter the transmission fittings?
I didn't see any on the lines when they got removed.
The lines seem a little loose fitting where they enter the transmission.

If there isn't any, what can I do to fix the leak?
I'm seeing red....ATF red!! :flag:

Thanks,
ElectraJim

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a LONG time since I messed with them... but as I recall, the fitting which threads into the transmission is what you want to replace. It has an internal seal of some sort, and you can see a plastic connector inside. So just replace the fitting on the transmission and you should be good.

Thanks bhuff30.
I see that the QD fitting "assembly" will unscrew from the transmission, but it certainly would be ALOT easier to put an "O-ring" on the line if there should be one.

The fittings on the transmission are REAL close to the cat-conv.

I'll almost certainly have to remove the transmission again to replace the QD fitting.

Anybody have a Dorman-Help part number for the QD fittings?
Even a factory part number?

Thanks,
ElectraJim

It might be better to remove the CAT. You can pick up the QD's at most part stores. The hard lines have no o-rings, however, if they have damaged ends they will destroy your new QD's. I got tierd of them leaking so I took it back to the shop that rebuilt it. If your going to do it your self, make sure you use seal tape on the threads of the QD's and a good lube on the hard lines when you go to insert them.

Here is the latest.

I went to a transmission part shop, and THEY can't even get the QD connections. They really tried, but they said that stuff is "too old".
They did say they could get me a used set, but realized that I already HAD used ones. :rolleyes:

Tried a Ford dealer. Spent at least 20 min. with the parts guy, him on the phone, and at the computer terminal. No dice. He suggested one of the chain auto part stores. With my visible frustration, the Ford counter man called his favorite chain part store, and THEY couldn't get one (or 2) either.

Finally, my trusted machine shop (with a little of my help) was able to R&R the little O-ring inside the QD fitting, and I reinstalled (with Teflon sealer). Initial startup showed promising.

IT still seems pretty lame that just this O-ring holds a seal on the lines.

So rumor has it that there is an "upgrade" to eliminate this QD fitting.
Is there a link to a writeup about this?

FWIW, the lines were in great shape, but I still conditioned the lines.
I used a red scotchbrite pad, and generously lubed the QD fittings (before I installed them) and the lines with ATF before connecting them.

I still don't trust them. I'm still wondering if there isn't another "soft part" thats missing in the QD fitting.

Thanks,
ElectraJim

PS, if this fitting IS REALLY available at a chain auto part store, please give me (and everyone) a part number!