a4ld TV cable

grubslinger

Jul 22, 2005
I was wondering if somebody can help me out here. I need a good picture of what the TV cable is supposed to look like on the 2.3 with the a4ld auto tranny.

I recently picked up a 93 4cyl and it will not shift into OD. I suspect its a TV cable issue. Looking at the throttle body, the stop on the end of the TV cable sticks out about an inch and a half past the tear drop shaped connector on the throttle body. Even at full throttle it doesnt hit the stop at the end of the cable. At first I thought that the TV cable was pulled out all the way and was stuck in the full pressure position, but after looking closer there is also a stop on the other side of the TV cable preventing it from going in any farther. So it cant be stuck. if I pull on the TV cable, I can feel resistance from the spring inside the trans and it pulls it back into position when I let go.

It appears to me as though there is supposed to be another stop of some kind on the TV cable for the teardrop connector to bump up against. But I havent been able to find any pictures to verify it. If somebody could go out and snap a closeup pic of their throttlebody showing the TV cable I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does the TV cable slide freely through the teardrop connector or is it supposed to be molded around the cable and hold it firmly?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest eather buying a manual or taking it in. From the last time i checked there is a certain PSI that needs to go through the lines otherwise you can mess a lot up. Ive only tryed this on 1 mustang and we blew a seal and we contacted a guy in Michigan. If you like i could get you the # he's really good with Aod/A4ld....

the cable is for kickdown purposes only,it should be really loose and have lots of slack in it until full throttle,then it should move the cable .it only controls the down shift,like when passing someone.if it gets pulled anytime other than near full throttle,then it can make your upshifts late or not upshift at all.if your od isnt working,look under the car on the drivers side of the trans near front of trans,thier is a solinoid there that controls the od engaugement.make shure this is plugged in,ive seen many people forget to plug this back in and leave the connector dangling in the engine compartment.or thr other possibility is the trans is going out,o/d is usually the first gear to start slipping,then the rest follow......hope this helps