A9l And Newer Climate Control Mod Repair

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I have an A9L computer that was determined to be possessed by Ford after it kept producing random codes, and I want repaired as a back up. (They scrounged a used one and really honked me for it. Then there was a long distance shipment mistake that took about three weeks, when I could have just driven a half hour one way to get it. I do not want a repeat.)

Urgent problem that ties in with the extra computer.
In an newer Fomoco car, the auto climate control has been blowing 195 degree air all winter, no matter what. That was toasty! But now it is still blowing only toasty air, mostly on the windshield and your ankles. The vents sometimes work, but it is always HOT. On my 2005 Grand a Marquis (and many models that reputedly use the same unit,) Pushing the Off and Floor buttons at the same time, then the pressing the Auto button within two seconds is supposed to send it into diagnostic mode. It does not do the trick. The good news is it had not sounded like the blend door control motor box. It is a pain to get to. There was No grinding, just sounds of flaps and doors, but the self diagnostic would make me feel better.

1. So, without risking "weather" a place on eBay is a fool without a clue, a retired rocket science tech, or a real business, what is are currently reliable places for my ECM and Temp controller repairs?

2. If I have to go eBay, who is good? I like retired computer/car people best, and businesses second.

Editorial after the tech:
I was hoping for the $25 4 Season heater control valve. But that's not on the fancy schmancy model. I like running the temp manually and do not mind a good cable system. I must be getting old if the only computers I really want are for the ABS, iPod, and I will put up with EFI.

• Sponsors (?)

If no one can help, you might have to change my name to Captain Toasty Toes, Advanced Member.

The place I had bookmarked from a couple of years ago is out of business or has been renamed.

My Mustang A9L ECU is still looking for a repair place. One place wanted to know what codes it was putting out, as some combinations indicate it is fried beyond repair. If they share the cursed combo with me, I will post it for you, too. There are two places on Fleabay advertising $162 ish and 24 hour turn around. They are SIA electronics and ZK boys. Anyone had a business transaction with either?

Fox Mustang Restoration has a more expensive repair service and buys cores.

Any experience with computer rebuilders would be appreciated.!!!!!!!

As far as the EATC, circuitboardmedics.com sounds great. They were very helpful on the phone and the price was right. He helped diagnose if it was the dash module or mix motor for free. They just do not work on the old ECU.

I have a decent stock set I pulled if your interested. Stykthyn is right though the computer doesn't have much bearing on the climate controls other than wanting to know if the ac is on or off.

I wondered if anyone really read the first post in the thread. :cry::cry: I tried so hard to be clear!

I'll try again. Who fixes 1991 Fox Mustang EEC IV A9L computers? My bookmarked place is no longer a valid ip address.

Thanks for the offer @jAEded but the climate issue is with an EATC from a 2005 Grand Marquis.

I have TWO cars and two issues that I wanted ONE computer place to solve. The 2005 car has the EATC climate control unit that is Very common on Newer Ford/Mercs. circuitboardmedics.com will work on them and seem like great folks. They will not work on my 91 Mustang A9L ECU.:dig: I want the A9L fixed for a back up unit or later restoration. I do not trust the salvage yard EEC IV I am running to not have bad caps one of these days.

Bookmark this if you run a stock computer!!!!

The ECU and module place YOU (StangNet members) recommended was -
arsmodules.com 888 593 2261 Automotive Electronic Solutions. I was looking for their info but found it too late., You know how filing things too safely goes.

In the mean time, I looked at eBay, and contracted with someone who sounds like Mustang Fanatics and am hoping they do as good of work as they sound.

ECUExcange LLC, R&R Dept, 701 La Veta Dr. Melborne, FL 32904

Visulate shows them being around since 2011 as a SMALL corporation. It may be some rocket engineers working part time and still making 24 hour turn around times. That would be fine with me. I was told the capacitors are all replaced no matter their appearance, and that's the start of my worries with the junk yard computer I am running.

If you do not know about capacitors, there are calculations to determine when new ones should fail. They still can leak AC current, leak fluid or explode. It is the same general situation as old tube type amps, vintage radios or new Soviet fighter jets, even in your ECU. The reasons to not use indestructible ones are size and cost. These are mostly for lower voltages than the 1930's radios, but dead or dying is a bad thing either way.

The first few places I called do not work on car computers this old. So that was problem one. It is like getting a cassette deck fixed. You think it was full of vacuum tubes and cat whisker diodes.
Problem two is I might be picky and wanted feedback from other Mustangers here first.

The eBay seller, bmwsalespro is actually ECU Exchange in Melborne FL. They seem to have not only fixed the A9L issues, but did they every preventative step I could find on Google and YouTube. All at a good price and with good email communication.
I doubt I will need them again soon, but I post their name in case someone else does.