Progress Thread 91 GT restore sitting 6 yrs-Fender dent?

point taken, I apologize to JRichker. If you had read this thread before you replied you would have seen I gave you credit for helping me w a fix.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm glad to see the apology. Clock springs are located behind the steering wheel usually used for airbag contacts...... a tone ring is located on the hubs for ABS. I'm assuming that was a typo...and you meant SRS. Yes, the clockspring is like unabtanium. I haven't seen a new one for sale in years. Most people pull the module out behind the glove box and call it a day. That 30 year old one stage airbag may do more damage than its worth if it goes off.

I'm a Master and L1 ( advance engine performance ) certified technician. Been working on cars 30 years. I still respect the work the Jrichker has put in here.

You'll find that most of the young guys stay in the FB groups...we are mostly seasoned mechanics and hobbyists here.

Plucking at each other is something we all do for fun here...but being a jerk will make the rath fall from the sky.

Yes the depth of knowledge is what brought me here, everytime as googled a Mustang question invariably I found the answer on this site most of the time. While I am a old grouchy mechanic too, I have no desire to be an ass.

Is it wrong to make Autozone replace the lifetime warr alt. on a deadman's car? IF so I'm wrong. My 91 was parked because its owner died 6 yrs ago. It has a new working alt now.

Reactions: 1 user
I buy all or most of my repair stuff to my own detriment at Advanced online. I have two daughters with cars. All stuff is on a list that I can bring up old slips and I do. They say lifetime guarantee on everything. Several times three years later I go get replacement parts. My favorites are master cylinders, fuel pumps. Nice to have you here HemiRick

Reactions: 1 users
I also use Advance most of the time.
Took the GT rear wing off the parts car and put it on my 89 LX, I like it. It's flat black so doesn't stick out like it would if body color. I also swapped drivers door window from the parts car to my 89 as its window was chipped at the top. I figure the parts car has about $700 worth of parts on it....not bad for $265.

Attachments

• DSCF3808.JPG
    DSCF3808.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 76
I also use Advance most of the time.
Took the GT rear wing off the parts car and put it on my 89 LX, I like it. It's flat black so doesn't stick out like it would if body color. I also swapped drivers door window from the parts car to my 89 as its window was chipped at the top. I figure the parts car has about $700 worth of parts on it....not bad for $265.
GT wings look killer on LX's :nice:

I know this car was in a minor front end accident, as thats the reason I was given as to why the Cervini hood is on it. The passenger fender has a couple dents, that its not obvious how they got there, and I'm wondering if it might be a sign the front end is tweaked. The 1st dent bulges out in front of the fender arch and then behind the arch there's an inward dent. Is this how these cars bend?

Usually the inner fender would show signs of bucking As well. There are a couple crimps in the frame rail designed to collapse.

it is possible to damage the febder and not affect the inner structure.

pull a fender liner and you can do a pretty good job of inspecting the aprons and rail

Been busy w other stuff. Took the Door lock to a locksmith today and got keys made for $22. Crawled under the car and looked good at the framrail and it's fine....the dent is just in the fender. I bought another used white fender, for $75. It's straight but has holes drilled in it and a bondo repair. I can probably fix the original fender on the car. I have a stud gun and know how to use it.

Started trying to drive this car and after it gets hot, it craps out. Let it sit 10 min. starts up and drives fine till it decides to fall on its face again. Have swapped out MAF and dist. and ECU, no effect still does it. Have a new FP gauge on the way, should be here tomm., but it has a new pump and filter. Will get back on it tomm when I have a FP gauge, because acts to me like a fuel issue.

1607372650350.png

Regarding your fender dent - it is possible that the fender was damaged by the frame rails being moved. On this car, the dents in the fenders were pressure bends because the car went down into a ditch and the front end was pushed up. When I took the fender off and attempted to bolt on a new fender, it would not fit because the front of it was cocked up in the air and the rear of the fender contacted the top of the door. It took frame machine time to pull it back into proper position.

I only post this because the possibility exists, not because I think that is what has happened to your car.

The issue w it crapping out after a while was the fuel pump relay.....seems to running fine w the one from my other car in it....Cool now I can start using it, I've needed a 2nd car w my 89 down. It's getting upgraded to 24 lb injectors and a BBK 24 LB MAF. I need to get my broken upper intake welded 1st. I got someone lined up to do it.

Attachments

• DSCF3852.JPG
    DSCF3852.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 1 user