Abandoned Highway Stack in CT

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
So I know a few of the members here have an interest in abandoned things. Well I have been doing a little research, and found an extremely interesting (to me) abandoned structure right here in CT. I will use some pics and info to share what it is, and why it's there.

It is basically a stack of over passes on I-84 in central CT, that up until 1992 was 100% abandoned. In 1992 they extended RT-9 to incorporate one of the 4th level over passes, and one of the 3rd level overpasses. In current day the second level, one of the 3rd and one of the 4th level overpasses still lay abandoned.

The general story is this... in the 60's the idea was to have I-291 in CT connect from here to it's current location north and west of this area. Some issues arose with the highway going through water supply areas, and the highway was scrapped. The overpasses and subsequent section of highway had been built in anticipation for this connection to I-291 which never was. As it sat there was a stretch of highway which included 2 lanes in either direction and was located one level over the "in-use" I-84. Above that was the 3rd level which was to include an on and off ramp. Above that on the 4th level was to include once again on and off ramps. This stayed abandoned until 1992 when RT-9 was extended to meet with two of the over passes, to connect it with I-84.

To this day there is a stretch of highway about a mile and a 1/4 long (two lanes in each direction), two long on/off ramps, as well as two smaller ramps connecting to those on/off ramps all abandoned. They all have the concrete poured and even include guardrails...

I have been driving this area for 8 years now and never knew much about this area. You could tell there were other "roads" but to what extent I never knew.

Here are some aerial photos I have that will explain the set up better!

View attachment 252663
Photo Above: This photo shows an aerial image of the stack. The following photo will explain what you are looking at.

View attachment 252664
Photo Above: This photo shows the areas of the stack in use (Green) and Abandoned (Red). The Highway from the bottom is RT-9 and the Highway running across is I-84. The on/off ramps between the two highways utilized sections of the stack that once were abandoned. The remaining sections just sit, with no use.

View attachment 252665
Photo Above: This photo shows a Birds Eye of the Stack itself. You can clearly see what sections are in use, and which are abandoned.

View attachment 252666
Photo Above: This last photo shows the North most end of the abandoned Highways and ramps. It literally just ends at a neigborhood street. They have fences and objects blocking people from entering.

Let me know what you abandoned guru's think. Also if you have areas near you like this, post them up. These things have always interested me, and knowing this is one in plain as day, where everyone drives under it, just makes it cooler!

Also see this site for more information:
Connecticut Roads - CT 9/I-84 stack (proposed I-291)

• Sponsors (?)

We have something similar here.

I can't post pics though, so best I can do is coordinates to look it up

42*25'48" 71*01'02"

It was supposed to be the split off for I=93 that would have followed the coast more, but residents didn't want it. I've actually gotten to walk the abandoned road. Pretty cool to see something old and just left to rot.

There's a cool website i read

Massachusetts Roads

Has lists of all sorts of old roads and highway signage and stuff. I LOVE old things...preferably from the early 1900's. I've gotten to walk through some cool old structures built around that time. A LOT of state buildings have relatively original structures inside. I've been inside the dam near Museum of science built in the 1890's...and all the original motors and gearing and machinery is still in there.

Nothing makes my day than checking out an original house or building from the 30's. It's like stepping back in time.

We have something similar here.

I can't post pics though, so best I can do is coordinates to look it up

42*25'48" 71*01'02"

It was supposed to be the split off for I=93 that would have followed the coast more, but residents didn't want it. I've actually gotten to walk the abandoned road. Pretty cool to see something old and just left to rot.

There's a cool website i read

Massachusetts Roads

Has lists of all sorts of old roads and highway signage and stuff. I LOVE old things...preferably from the early 1900's. I've gotten to walk through some cool old structures built around that time. A LOT of state buildings have relatively original structures inside. I've been inside the dam near Museum of science built in the 1890's...and all the original motors and gearing and machinery is still in there.

Nothing makes my day than checking out an original house or building from the 30's. It's like stepping back in time.

hmmm i generally like em around 19 years old :D

Lol

There is also a pretty cool abandoned ramp on Storrow Drive in Boston you can only see from the air. The grass actually dies off in mid to mate summer because of the buried roadway and you can see the outline. It's also tree lined. I've walked through it, but never knew it was a road until i saw the sat photo

That would be at 42*21'05" 71*05'28"

I tend to advoid posting info on local abandonments... There is something like that just outside of philly.. But I'm not sure if it's worth the trip. Anyone going north from the stadiums, look to your right behind the rail yard. However, I have found something worth checking into just outside of philly. Apparently, when the navy minimized their base, they left a lot worth looking at..
Here's what I'm looking at....
Google Maps

Brian,

For some interesting reading, look up the history of the Whitehead Parkway in Hartford, it was originally supposed to link to I-84 along the Park River Conduit, right thought Bushnell Park.

Also, the offramps to no-where on the Sisson Ave exits of 84.

As well as the proposed I-491 linking I-91 in Wethersfield to I-84 in Manchester, by way of East Hartford. Part if which is now Rt 3.

Interesting stuff I have stumbled upon in the past few years...

Brian do you think/know if there is some sort of a entrance to the roads? Sadly they don't look to straight.

It's scary how much we think alike. But I think it's a lot bigger than it looks. If you look at the size of the cars I think there would be plenty of room to race on the red area. I had no idea that was there either. We need to know if there's a way to get to it, if not we need to MAKE a way to get to it. It's concrete too. I'm just picturing that sexy virgin road all wet with VHT and covered in rubber :drool:

if you guys like abandoned cities check out hashima, japan.

http://googlesightseeing.com/gearth/hashima-abandoned-island.kml

ok thats more my cup of tea,
abandoned-city-5.jpg

man i dont understand how you guys find crap like that so interesting

Me neither, but I do like it. The photos of my car most people see were taken at an old assylum.

Nick I did a bit of research on all the roads that were proposed. The ideas behind them and such, good information.

Josh x2, I thought the same thing when I saw the roads. They are beat up though!

Up in Maine on Fort Mountain, there is an old C-54 crash site. It went down in 1944 and it relatively untouched. One of these days I might hike it to check it out

539w.jpg

1245976929_bd01.jpg

BTW, that ship above is a German Destroyer that was run around in Norway fleeing the British in 1942. Still there to this day.