About a $6500 car.

I have $6500 and was wondering what would be the BEST car for that price range, Performence wise. Also keep in mind that it will have to have about 70,000 miles or less. Also i dont mind spending a little $ but will not do anthing in a machine shop. Exhaust/ headers ect would be ok though. So far i have come up with a camaro. I dont care too much on what is as far as import/domestic. ( Oh yeah please try to keep it legit... aka dont tell me that a civic's the way to go, bc thats just plain bs.) No offense to civic owners/ lovers, lol. Thanks
Matt :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

obviously on a site like this .. it will be biased towards mustangs .. but i have to second the fox body idea ... $6500 would get you a very very nice GT, or 5.0L LX.

Mind you, you have to like the look of the fox body's (79 - 93s.) in the first place.

I may be biased toward the 94-95's having owned two, but they are great if you want that in between type of stang. You can't afford a 99+ GT with low miles, and fox's usually are beat up. I bought my car for $5,650 from a state auction 10 months ago, had to pay back registration of about $500 because the car was sitting in storage for 4 years undriven. All said and done I spent $6,150 for her w/46,000 miles on the clock, stock down to the air silencer with weld-in mufflers. I know I got a really good deal, but it is very possible to find a low miles 94-95 for the $6500 range as I did. And that was nearly a year ago, I'm sure the blue book value has gone down a couple hundred for the same car w/the same mileage. It has the easilly moded and strong 302, with updated looks, and cornering, brakes, seats, and interior the blow a stock fox body away.

The other route I would go is to do as my friend did, and buy a badass, rebuilt-motor/modified fox. He spent around 7K, and bought an 89 GT from a guy who used to work for maximum motorsports. Car has 275 fwhp, disk brakes all around, rediculous suspension, custom paint, roll cage, cobra wheels, ect. Either way your going to have a very nice stang for under $6500 no problem.

Buy a damm SN95? What is a SN95? Anyway i really dont like the fox's. My favorite mustang body style is the 94-98 - which has the least amount of HP :( Scott_95gt you said that you got yours from an auction? That seems like a good idea. Where would i go to find one close to where i live (cincinait)? Thanks
Matt

SN95 is the term Ford used internally for the 1994 and up model Mustangs. The 1994-1998 cars have pretty, curvy, sexy styling, but weak engines. 1999-2004 cars have more power, but (in my opinion) are not quite as nice looking. Plus they are more expensive because they are newer. My opinion is to find a used '89 Geo Metro on blocks in someone's yard, buy it, and use the $6499 left over to somehow cram a V8 in it and convert it to rear wheel drive. Then sucker people at the track.. imagine a 12-second Geo?? :rlaugh: YEAH I know this idea is :bs: but who cares...

mustangmatthew said:
Buy a damm SN95? What is a SN95? Anyway i really dont like the fox's. My favorite mustang body style is the 94-98 - which has the least amount of HP :( Scott_95gt you said that you got yours from an auction? That seems like a good idea. Where would i go to find one close to where i live (cincinait)? Thanks
Matt

The 94-95 share the same engine as late model foxes, with a different computer, hypernetic pistons, and a different upper intake/egr setup. The motor is basically identical to foxes, and are slightly quicker than 96-97's, and much easier/cheaper to mod than 4.6's. If you had a couple more thousand to spend, I would say get a 99-00 5spd GT. But since you don't, and your not a big fox body fan, you should go with a 94-95. Get some good simple bolt-on's, gears, and dial it all in with a dyno-tune. You will have a quick, good-looking car, that will have plenty of power for the street, you will hold your own at the track, it will be reliable as a daily driver, and it's within your budget.

I bought my car from the state. It was siezed in a drug bust. It was not at a car auction, but an auction at a state surplus warehouse (old computers, office equipment, ect.) through e-bay. The reason they had a car to sell (my car was the only car they had) was because they have a contract with South Lake Tahoe PD to sell repossesed/siezed autos through the state. It was kind of lucky they had what I was looking for (I wanted a 5-spd, but it was too good of a deal to pass on), and it was in town. Went down, checked it out, logged onto e-bay and bought it. I would not trust a normal auto-auction car without an inspection by a skilled mechanic, and a test-drive. A lot of times they are there for a reason.

After searching for about 3 Weeks, I got my 2000 V6 5 speed Mustang for $5,500 from a guy selling it for his GF in front of his house.

I saw a few at auctions for 5000 - 6000 while I was looking...