About to post a Question? SEARCH the threads first!!!

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
If "veteran" members or any members don't like answering the same ole question then don't answer them!...its that simple...

Stangnet would not be what it is or have near as many posts without "newbie" questions...

Some people (not all), including myself like a "recent" confirmation rather than getting one that was posted 3 weeks or 3 months earlier...

In short, if you don't like repeating the same answer or thread then don't.... :shrug:

David

I agree...

I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed that the atmosphere is definitely not as friendly as it used to be. I think that it would be better just not to answer rather than ridicule the question/poster. Or maybe just a "Hey this has been answered already, please use the search"?

Before I knew a clutch quadrant from a pressure plate I came to Stangnet and it has been a great friendly place AND full of knowledgeable people.

I am far from being an expert, but I am definitely better off having taken a lot of advice from here.

It can't be good if people are apologizing for posting their questions because they feel stupid....

How is the FAQ section coming or is it possible to make a MOST COMMON QUESTIONS thread with links?

Just my opinion...

remat457 said:
I agree...

I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed that the atmosphere is definitely not as friendly as it used to be. I think that it would be better just not to answer rather than ridicule the question/poster. Or maybe just a "Hey this has been answered already, please use the search"?

Before I knew a clutch quadrant from a pressure plate I came to Stangnet and it has been a great friendly place AND full of knowledgeable people.

I am far from being an expert, but I am definitely better off having taken a lot of advice from here.

It can't be good if people are apologizing for posting their questions because they feel stupid....

Is there any way to make a FAQ section, or MOST COMMON QUESTIONS thread with links?

Just my opinion...

dude I agree totally. however, I have to say, that when I was new, at least I read stuff before posting, and if I needed clarification, I would post. that's what I wish people would do. of course I never tell someone to use the search function, I'm pretty nice :)

a MOST COMMON QUESTIONS thread might not be as useful as a few topic-specific threads...most n00bs will probably skip over "common questions" but if they have a q about gears and they see a sticky about "gears" then they might actually read it first :)

remat457 said:
I agree...

I've noticed that too. The repeated topics, my favorite is the rear gear :D, have been happening since I first got here (10/99 under the name: cobraclutch), but it wasn't the issue it's become lately. I've seen a couple newbies getting jumped on as well. I try to use search first since most of time it's faster than waiting for a few responses anyway.

dreddstang said:
^-----I kinda tend to agree with that. One of the reasons I post here is to try and help out others who may not know about some of the old stuff. It is nice to pass on knowledge.
Let's look at this:
This new kid is 18 years old. By some miracle, he does not buy a Honda, but an '89 GT, and knows nothing about it. Nor does he know much about computers, and if you don't, you ain't gonna get far on the search feature, or maybe even know it is there.

Why not help these guys out? Sometimes the simplest questions are the most fun to answer, just because you have delt with it several times on your own cars. It is nice being able to provide answers sometimes.

If you don't wanna, that is the other nice thing about the forums here or anywhere, you can ignore it and move on, or just create your own.

At the same time, you can't fault Jade for posting this, because it is another question that has also been gone over. Every time someone asks an old question, and someone else says "Duh, use the search feature", someone speaks up and says everything that has been said here. They are all valid points. :nice:

I can sympathsize with this because i was there. I got my Mustang 2 years ago when I was 19, and it was the first car I'd ever worked on myself. I know I asked some really stupod questions, but everyone was nice enough to answer them, and now I don't mind answering them for other newbies.
On the same token, I can see where Jade is coming from.

If 99% of the questions have been answered...then shut the board down and make it a read only forum.I dont come here much anymore for the simple reason I was getting embarassed looking at a question someone posted only to see.."WHY DONT YOU USE THE SEARCH FIRST!" As has been said...if you see a topic that you know has been on here before,then dont open it.Oh and you dont always get an answer to your question..trust me...especially a very technical one :rolleyes:

NOHATCH'91 said:
If 99% of the questions have been answered...then shut the board down and make it a read only forum.I dont come here much anymore for the simple reason I was getting embarassed looking at a question someone posted only to see.."WHY DONT YOU USE THE SEARCH FIRST!" As has been said...if you see a topic that you know has been on here before,then dont open it.Oh and you dont always get an answer to your question..trust me...especially a very technical one :rolleyes:

As far as the niceness of the forums community, and how they answer questions, this is the best I've EVER been to. Most forums community would pound you relentless for even asking a question that has been posted. I'll get as technical as you need me to get, search the threads, its already been technical.

JadeFalcon said:
As far as the niceness of the forums community, and how they answer questions, this is the best I've EVER been to. Most forums community would pound you relentless for even asking a question that has been posted. I'll get as technical as you need me to get, search the threads, its already been technical.

Let me jump in here. I gotta say that stangnet is one of the best forums that I have ever been on. It seems that some people live on this board. I always get quick responses. I posted some stuff on ford truck enthusiast forum and I got a lot of smack talk. When I replied to the smack, I was the bad guy. Nothing to get banned or warned, but it made me feel like the red headed step child.

I hate the how much hp and how fast will my car go posts, but I understand that it comes with the territory from people that like to bench race.

I jump in to help with any electrical questions that come up as much as possible. But, I have to admit that lately my interest is waning. I dont spend as much time here as I used to. But I would never want to see this board shut down.

As far as the search goes, I search my username to find followups to my posts and with the old interface, I couldnt find a lot of posts that I knew I had made and they were only a few days old. It seems a lot better since the new interface, but I have still run into the same situation. So some info is not getting found with the search.

Also the 45 second thing is a PITA. If you seach and that is not what you want, 45 seconds is a long time to wait to re-search with the correct or refined keywords. I am not sure what the purpose of the 45 second delay is. I cant see any bots hitting this search engine (like they do with contest entry forms), but who knows. Lowering it to 15 seconds or a compromise of 30 seconds would make it more user friendly from my experience.

I understand that resources cost money, but I recently deleted all of my old pics because I could not post new ones anymore. I hated to do that because it is sort of the point to be able to look up and download old diagrams, pics, etc. However, I wanted to post my new pics to help the poster.

On the revenue front, I like the way google does the sponsered links to the right. Those ads are unobtrusive and quite possibly are exactly the reason you searched in the first place. That sort of thing could be added to the search feature. I use mozilla. I dont even see popups anymore, so I have no idea if they exist on this site. I would just ignore them anyway.

I am not interested in donating money, but time is another thing. I will do my share to answer any questions that I can and would be interested in doing some sort of moderator duty to assist.

Phew! Gotta blow the smoke of the keyboard after that one.

JadeFalcon said:
I'll get as technical as you need me to get, search the threads, its already been technical.
Hey yup, that's what we need......outdated tech help from our searches. Oh never mind, the search function does not really work anyways.

hllon4whls said:
As far as the search goes, I search my username to find followups to my posts and with the old interface, I couldnt find a lot of posts that I knew I had made and they were only a few days old. It seems a lot better since the new interface, but I have still run into the same situation. So some info is not getting found with the search.
Haha, this is my second post on this thread and if you search for my name right now, this thread does not come up.

Cliff :D

WLDHRSE said:
Hey yup, that's what we need......outdated tech help from our searches. Oh never mind, the search function does not really work anyways.

Haha, this is my second post on this thread and if you search for my name right now, this thread does not come up.

Cliff :D

Speaking of losing posts...I wake up this morning and find out that my post number was subtracted by around 10...the only way I noticed it was that yesterday I passed the 500 mark and woke up and was at 497 and Street Master...what the heck?...lol :shrug: Oh well...ha ha

David

hllon4whls said:
Let me jump in here. I gotta say that stangnet is one of the best forums that I have ever been on.
:nice: :nice: :nice:
hllon4whls said:
I hate the how much hp and how fast will my car go posts, but I understand that it comes with the territory from people that like to bench race.
:rolleyes: Right! I'm not crazy about them either, but be realistic- this isn't Caddycruisers.com here. Most of us are here in pursuit of extracting as much performance from our rides as possible, it's what most of us are most psyched about- or we wouldn't be driving Mustangs. It <B>is</B> the #1 bangforthebuckpowertothepeopleponeycar in the nation. Put a hundred stangowners in a room together and expect them not to benchrace is like putting 15 waitresses in a room without the boss and expecting them to get something productive done without killing each other.

hllon4whls said:
I am not interested in donating money, but time is another thing. I will do my share to answer any questions that I can and would be interested in doing some sort of moderator duty to assist.
:OT: Yeah, how does that work anyway? We have Jade over here doing a fantastic job keeping us all in line, a couple years out of high school and not even two years a member- and on the other hand we have guys like Michael Yount with four times the posts, as many years behind the wheel as Jade has been alive, and never been less than a gentleman genius in here, not a moderator. How do people end up in that position? I for one wouldn't want the responsibility, but I'm curious about how they who are became so. It isn't a democracy- how's it work?

ps...farther :OT: Jade, I still want to know how to fix my broken tach. I tried the search, but I got impatient after awhile of not finding what I was looking for...;)

Yeah, all i will say is that both sides are 100% right, but u gotta forgive and deal with newbies. Thats one thing i hate is when people bash on them. Common repeat posts, (besides the gears, 373s or 410s lol) are ok with me.

But i will add that the search feature does suck. What is the point of the minimun and maximum letters??? to filter out the words "the" and stuff from a phrase? i thuik 8 is the max (i think theres a max) and 3 the minimum......

373, 410, TFS, 331 vs 347, 306, AFR, FMS, rear END, driveshaft, Oil, A/C, T5, TKO, etc, etc, etc.

These all look familiar, some of the most repeated posts contain these words, and they will NOT work on the search feature. Plus sometimes it does work right with longer words. **Not complaining about this wonderful, free site, but you cant always emphasize the search feature when it barely works.

Just me...:flag:

Isn't the point of these forums for everyone to be able to post their questions? I know I've done searches before a few of my posts, and could never find anything relevent for MY situation. Take it, I don't ever recall asking about gears or exhaust, there are way many of these, but a check engine light/rich running condition that no one can seem to fix, including mechanics, is something I touch upon here and there. I know, run codes, but that hasn't helped. Sometimes a dead horse has to be beaten for a poster's particular problem. Besides, if you all get tired of the same questions, why do you all hang here? There's really a finite amount of things that can go wrong with these cars and I'm sure all have been brought up in one form or another. I'm not trying to bash anyone or be disrespectful, but I think some people should lighten up or you defeat the purpose of these forums.

yep Jade, i bet 100% of us can agree that no matter what, this is the best forum. nicest, most helpful people and everything else :nice:

thise guys seriously need a good ass beating to set them straight, all u guys on here seem so nice...i think here on Long Island the "group" of "car people" are sorta similar to them on that forum. i havent talked to many but when i do they all sound so stuck up and king of the hill type.

I hope that Long Island comment wasn't aimed at me, I think that's kinda rude. I just like driving my car and making it better/faster. No road racing either, just personal satisfaction. I wasn't slamming anyone here, as I posted originally, but there are a lot of newbies that come on this board that are trying their hand at working on their cars for the 1st time. Also, if this board were as hostile as that other one in the link, this place would collapse. Blame the moderators on that board for not keeping a leash on some of the threads.

huskerpower02 said:
i say someone just fixes the dang search tool and eliminates the 45 second post rule. Otherwise LONG LIVE STANGNET :nice:

-Drew
I vote for that man, I love this forum but the search is about as lame as I have seen. Also the speed of everything is really slow. Dont get me wrong it is still the best but why so many restrictions on the search function? Alot of posts are started as " Whats the best MAF for my 347"....how do you find that with a search?

aw cmon.. who cant get enough 5 lug brake questions?

pfffffffffffffffft

It would be nice if people actually did work themselves before asking for help... but that might be asking too much. Research first.. then follow up with additional questions... but then again to use the search feature one must know how to spell every word they are looking for.. lol