The ABS and trac off light have been on in my 2004 GT since I bought it one year ago. I have replaced all brake pads, rotors, and calipers. I have thoroughly cleaned the ABS rings on all wheels; however, the lights are still on. I have been able to turn them off with a diagnostic reader, but they do not stay off. No codes show up when I use my cheap reader and I took it to a shop and their brand new scan tool would not connect to the car to read the ABS code, but could connect to the ECU. Should I replace the ABS module?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO it would be much smarter to test before replacing an expensive part such as an ABS module. Using an ODB2 scanner that is able to communicate to the ABS module. It would help the trouble shooting to "know" what the individual speed sensor are sending to the ABS module.

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based ODB2 scanner that is capable of reading all of the connected modules in today's cars.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Thank you for your help I will look into that some more. From my understanding the shop I went to, owned by a friend, had a scan tool able to communicate with the ABS module. As you could understand, he was just as upset as I was that it couldn't, considering it was his first time using his new $2500 tool