ABS module replacement how-to??

• Sponsors (?)

You can replace the ABS module without disconnecting the brake lines, I just did mine because the ABS light was coming on intermittently. It is a little awkward to do though. To do it you have to remove the bracket that supports the HCU. First remove the bolts that hold the bracket to the car, 2 on top and one underneath. Then remove the bolts that hold the HCU onto the bracket, this part is a little difficult because the one closest to the radiator has very little clearance and needs to be removed from underneath. Then you can remove the bracket and let the HCU "hang" by the brake lines. Now you can fit a torx bit on a 1/4" socket wrench and undo the 6 screws that hold the ABS computer module onto the HCU. Put the new one on and reassemble in reverse.

Hope this helps...

My Mustang was giving me intermittent ABS lights and an IDS scanner was unable to communicate with the ABS computer at all. Repair info guide suggested replacing ABS module as a confirmed fix in other similar cases. It worked!

I made a video of the simple R&I procedure and posted it to YouTube. I got the whole control module and hydraulic module for $125 from a parts car.... whole lot cheaper than a dealer. Even the junkyards wanted $200-$300 for it. Guess I'll try to sell the spare hydraulic unit.

Video: YouTube - How to replace Mustang ABS control module WITHOUT removing lines

Wow I wonder if that's what's wrong with my 99 the ABS light would come on and a tech at my work said the scanner wouldn't pick up anything and now it stays on all the time and my traction control stays off too ... I think there is a Mach 1 at my work having the same issue right now

rispoli, rejekt,

$100 could have you boys back up and running with an hour's worth of work. Just check out my video before you do the job and check my lessons learned first. It is a very easy job to do. Find someone on craigslist parting out a car with the same module and you'll be good to go. I used a 2000 GT w/ trac module in my 02 GT w/ trac car.