Abs Problem 01' V6

Fjord Moostange

Feb 5, 2017
ABS light popped up and traction control stopped working after getting stuck in snow about a month ago. Checked fuse, used 3 different obd scanners and none of them picked up any DTCs, cleaned the sensors and tone ring with a tooth brush but no luck. The only thing I notice is that the sensor on the left rear is not physically touching the tone ring.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is the same as the GT it takes a special(VERY expensive one) Scanner to read the codes when you have both ABS and Traction Control. My research shows a lot of failures of the Bosch Control Module(also very expensive) located on the main ABS Unit. I also tried a few scanners and had a mobile mechanic try to get the codes from his smartphone and finally called Auto Parts Stores and they said to call the tech lines. That is when I found out the scanners that work actually have to have the vehicle info. entered into the scanner, professional and expensive ones. I called around and the repair shops verified my findings and wanted from$65-$75 to read the ABS/Traction Control DTC's. I have not done that yet although the wheel sensors are relatively cheap but my luck hasn't been that great so far. Brakes work fine so I am back burnering for now, really do like the ABS could live without traction control.

I wonder if ForScan can do it. It can read a LOT more info than your typical OBD2 reader can, and with an appropriate ELM327, can read both MS-CAN and HS-CAN information.

http://forscan.org/home.html

I've used it on my '14 Taurus, and it will tell me if my hood switch is reading open/closed. It has access to many modules.

Free download for the PC (I think phone app has a small charge) and I think I bought a USB ELM327 with HS/MS CAN switch for $15 or so.

Too bad I don't have a Sn95 handy to see if it will pull ABS codes. I'm curious to see if it would.

The mobile mechanic had that on his phone and got some more codes than the regular scanner but not the traction control ones to troubleshoot the problem. He also mentioned an expensive shop oriented one that you had to enter the year model etc to access the needed codes. When I get some money I an going to bite the bullet and spend the cash for the shop code read and hope it is a wheel sensor or something cheap(relatively). I saw on Ebay an ad to send your module in for rebuilding for $99.99 and you can still drive the car while getting it rebuilt so maybe I can get it fixed somewhat reasonably since a new module is like $1600-$1800 I was told, will hope for a wheel sensor though ha ha.

Wheel sensors are usually easy to diagnose. I just pull the plug, and test resistance through the sensor. I'd expect all 4 to be somewhat in the same range, and see a similar change if I spin the hub.

Usually the bad sensors I've found read completely open, so it was pretty obvious.