AC compressor clutch problem perhaps?

mostsmooth

Nov 12, 2002
Hi all,
95 gt
AC hasnt been used for lets say 18 years other than recently where i turned it on just to see if it worked, meaning checking if cold air was blowing, and it wasn't working. only got warm air.
so now that its getting warmer, i figured i would start by charging the system.
as i was charging the system, i saw that the clutch would engage for about 0.75-1 seconds, and then stop for about 5 seconds and then engage again for about 0.75-1 seconds.
as i added refrigerant, it would engage longer before stopping. 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds. eventually it stayed running for like 30 seconds and i thought it would just stay on, but it stopped again and then it would not kick back on at all.
when it was on for the longer periods, i did check the air coming from the vents and it was cold.

does this sound like any common problem? any thoughts on where/how i should start troubleshooting this? or am i just looking at a new AC unit?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like you went from under filled to over filled. If you over fill it, the compressor won't kick on. Wouldn't hurt to suck it all out and do a fresh fill on it.

Kurt

Looks like you went from under filled to over filled. If you over fill it, the compressor won't kick on. Wouldn't hurt to suck it all out and do a fresh fill on it.

Kurt
so, i let it sit from my previous post til now, it is back to doing the 0.75-1 seconds on and then kicking off for a bit. i didnt test it out too much this time, just checked if it was kicking on or not. air was cold when it kicked on.
if it was an overfill situation like you suggested, then i have a big leak somewhere i would think, right?

so, i let it sit from my previous post til now, it is back to doing the 0.75-1 seconds on and then kicking off for a bit. i didnt test it out too much this time, just checked if it was kicking on or not. air was cold when it kicked on.
if it was an overfill situation like you suggested, then i have a big leak somewhere i would think, right?
Given how long it has sat, I would check everything. spray some soapy water around the fittings and see if you are getting bubbles. It probably has a leak somewhere.

Kurt