Ac Fast Idle Solenoid?

Hey folks, I just installed an underdash AC unit on my 66, 289 2 barrel. The AC works great the only issue Im having is when I turn on the unit, the idle drops. Car runs fine when driving but the issue is when I come to a stop. Engine idles low and it feels like it's going to die on me. I've heard of a fast idle solenoid that activates when the unit is turned on that mounts to the carb. I can't seem to find one for my original Motorcraft 2 barrel. If anyone can tell me where to get one it would be appreciated. Maybe there is one for a different year that will work?? I've tried bumping up the idle screw but that doesn't work well, engine diesels when I shut it off by turning up the idle so I returned to original position. TIA.

• Sponsors (?)

this is the one i have used in the past

http://www.holley.com/46-74.asp
So this one worked on your Motorcraft 2 barrel? I've seen the one you posted so I called Holley and they said they weren't sure if it would fit mine since I only have one screw hole where the bracket goes on the base of the carb. The bracket for that solenoid has 2 holes. If it worked for you I would get it. Thanks iskwezm.

My issue with that Holley unit is the price! By the time you get the solenoid, bracket, nut & shipping it's about $100. Edelbrock also offers one that comes out even pricier! There were many Ford and GM products that used a very similar unit from the late 60's thru the 80's that were much cheaper. I would love to know what the models & years were so I could adapt one for the same purpose.
Thanx,
Gene

So this one worked on your Motorcraft 2 barrel? I've seen the one you posted so I called Holley and they said they weren't sure if it would fit mine since I only have one screw hole where the bracket goes on the base of the carb. The bracket for that solenoid has 2 holes. If it worked for you I would get it. Thanks iskwezm.
I used it on different carbs, but not a 2 bbl. I had to modify the bracket to work sometimes

Go to a junkyard, I was able to find two solenoids off of 2 70s-80s Dodge 360 motors in trucks. Both of them worked, I paid like $20 for the pair. All I have to do now is make a simple bracket to mount to the carburetor.

Good to know on the Dodges. It "widens the field", so to speak, when going to the pic-n-pull. 70-ish to mid 80's GM also. I can see an early morning (cooler) trip in my near future!:nice: I'm guessing a 9-volt battery or 2 in series will test the function at the yard. And/or a multi meter.
Thanx All,
Gene

You're probably missing the "Hot Idle Compensator". On a 2V with A/C it's installed in the PCV hose and has a bi-metallic spring that at a certain temperature opens a valve to induce a controlled vacuum leak, increasing the idle speed. I don't know if it's reproduced so you might have to search eBay or Craigslist.

bartl,
Yeah, I know about those, but with my cam, my vacuum is low enough:p and from what I understand, most folks tossed them as they didn't really do the job they were intended for very well AND made the car run like DOO-DOO! My car is FAR from an original type restoration. I call it the "Screamin' Rat" as the paint is so UGLY bad, but all mechanicals are brand new and the car is fully detailed under the hood and underneath and goes like a gang raped ape!:burnout:
Thanks,
Gene