AC Relay Help-any help GREATLY appreciated

Mike...that will be a huge help ref the pics. I called the closest junk yard today (45 mins away)...and of course....no 5.0s on the lot.
Jrichker...thanks....my problem is...I have no cut or loose wires.... WOAH...scratch that. I got frustrated and started yanking some of the sheething off and found a Black/yellow wire, white/blue, red, and pink/yellow wire hiding inside...obviously cut at some point and tucked back in the harness!! Is there a pigtail I can buy to connect these to so they can plug into the relay? Are they what I was looking for? Doesn't the relay have 5 wire connections??? Also...I have a white tube connector in same area..unplugged with light blue/purple and tan/white wires running to both ends....any reason it would not be connected??? THANKS a million guys...feels like I am close...no???

You have found the A/C relay wires. Check out the two diagrams I posted and match the wire colors you have to the diagrams. You should be able to buy a replacement relay socket pigtail at Advanced Auto Parts or NAPA. Be sure to get a 4 wire socket and not a 3 or 5 wire socket.

• Sponsors (?)

Mike....THANKS! Be curious to see what color your wires are going into that relay.
Jrichker...my only concern is that only two of the wire colors are right...the Black/yellow and the Red.....right? ALso....when I bought the relay from the autoparts store...they gave me a 5 pin relay....you say it needs to only be 4 pins right? I will ck withthem tomorrow. What do you make of the 2 diff color wires...could they be for the fule pump relay which is also missing (they must have rewired because the car runs). Could they be the missing wires just diff colors than the factor diagram or do I need to tear that harness completely apart?? THANKS GUYS!!
Trying to attach a photo...but not working...??

Mike/Jrichker.....THANK YOU!!! I am going to buy a relay from Autozone tomorrow and attempt the repair the weekend (couldn't find anyone parting out a stang locally). Will post results.
Jrichker...one final question,.....when I cked with the autoparts store, the relay they have as the replacement has 5 pins. I also looked at someone's 90 GT and theirs had 5 pins as well...but only the 4 wires going into it. I know you mentioned only buying one with 4 pins, but if I can only find the one with 5....is it ok to use and leave the one pin untouched or grounded???? THANKS AGAIN!!!!

So here's a pic on my '88. Couple things to note, wiring is different between '88 and '93 as I don't have airbags and Mass air. There's a meter in the pic, but the car is speed density. I'm just getting ready for the conversion.

Wiring for the WOT relay comes over the shock tower and the WOT is bolted to the fender. The other plug, is the O2 harness which disappears under the engine. If this was a MAF car, i'd assume a mass air harness would also be in the same plug.

My wire colors are also different due to it being an '88

Red - from clutch cycling pressure switch on the canister by firewall
Orange/L Blue - Grounds coil at EEC
Pink/L Blue - Power from AC/heater
Black/Yellow - connects to A/C compressor and completes circuit to ground.

Simple 4-wire relay setup, nothing special. You wire colors are different though. Diagram on page 1

Wiring.jpg

Great pic Mike. Thanks. It is helpful to see how the harness runs over the strut tower (mine is wedged between the tower and the motor...way too close to the headers). Going to attempt the ne relay this weekend and will post the results. Thanks soo much for the help!

SUCCESS!!...well sort of.... I hooked up the relay from Advance Auto and the AC compressor kicked on as it should!! However, the AC lines on the passenger side going towards the radiator (condensor??) got very very hot...couldn't touch em. Also...when I shut the car off...I got a whistling sound from either the engine compartment or inside the dash...couldn't get out quick enough to pin point it. Any advice? Could any wires be reversed (??I followed Jrichker's diagram, but did'nt know if it mattered what terminals each wire needed to be on. I made sure they were paired correctly as the diagram showed, but didn't know if ther is a "left and a right" side to things). Any help GREATLY appreciated. Tks..Ron

The lines from the compressor to the condenser and the condenser to the evaporator will get too hot to handle, that is normal. Anytime you compress a gas, it gets hot. The whistle is normal too, it's the sound of the gas pressure equalizing inside the A/C system.